MBP 17" : AG or Glossy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iPhone1, Aug 1, 2010.

1. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Right now I am using as my main laptop a 17" PowerBook G4 (1GB RAM, 1 GHZ processor). I think it's time to upgrade.

I have other Macs running Snow Leopard but have resisted upgrading my PowerBook due to cost.

I am looking at getting a new 17" MBP with an SSD, 8GB RAM and the i7 processor. I figure go big or go home. My PBG4 has lasted 7 years. Only thing I am conflicted about is whether to get the glossy screen or upgrade to AG.

My current PowerBook has a matte display. I love the look of the glossy screen but am thinking the matte would be better suited to my needs (photography).

Do you feel that the AG is better for color reproduction or is the glossy "good enough" ?
  2. iFel macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2010
    If you can afford AG, then go for it but Glossy looks very nice too.
  3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I'd go for matte if possible. I feel that of the two matte is better for color representation and it has the benefit of not being a 17" mirror :)
  4. kolax macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    Antiglare, definitely. If my eyes faired me a bit better, I'd have gotten antiglare this time round too. I did on my previous Core 2 Duo uMBP.

Appalled at Apple's lack of options for antiglare screens. Antiglare on the 13" MacBook Pro would be brilliant - along with an antiglare 21.5" Cinema Display.

Oh, I can dream.....
  5. iPhone1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I guess people buy glossy because it is sexier looking. The matte screen is awesome but not so good looking when next to a glossy MBP. People like shiny things.
  6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    Check each of them out at an Apple store. It's all personal preference.

Personally, I couldn't stand the uber-reflective glassy panel. I ended up getting a 15" MBP instead of a 13" machine just so I could get the antiglare. It was worth every cent.
  7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    It's a personal preference, it's always a personal preference.
  8. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I agree!

to the OP:

You should consider spending some time looking at both screens at a Apple store. I was on the fence myself, but checking out the screens personally made me realize that I could not stand reflected background in the glossy.... it's not just that you see light behind you reflected; it's practically a mirror!

Though colors pop more on the glossy versus AG (but that might be a negative for photographers)....

Once again:

The best of luck!
  9. Proph3T macrumors member

Apr 15, 2010

Any photographer or videophile will tell you that you need to get the anti-glare. If you just want your computer to be shiny then get the glossy
  10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2008
    Same here. Anti-Glare all the way. Glossy is "uh it's so shiny and pretty" consumer crap :D :apple:
  11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    I got the glossy on mine if I could do it over I would get anti glare.
    Thats just me check out both.
  12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

Thinking of buying the 2009 17" MBP from microcenter for $1599. I think that they only offer that price for the glassy. Still considering it bc the scene real estate and all of my students say the 15" glassy doesn't bother them under horrible lighting for hours each day. They say that you get used to it and won't even notice?

It's either $999 mbp 13" or $1599 17". Some microcenters have 2009 15" for $1499 but for a hundred more the 1920x1200 might be worth the money.

Any thoughts? I have an iPad that I use more than my 13" Blackbook since the screen Rez is so small. Also have a Mac mini driving a 1920x1200 and 1440x900 display.
  13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Nov 22, 2007
    Ask Apple
    The amount of aggravation you will likely experience with a glossy screen is directly proportional the the area of the screen. With my iPhone and iPad, the glossy screen is not an issue, became a simple alteration of the wrist will usually stop the problem. However, once you get into 17 inch screen territory, such small movements become less easy to do.

Personally I wen with a 17 inch AG and I've been very happy I did.
  14. merlintl macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2009
    I debated back and forth and back and forth.....

I finally decided to get the anti-glare. Very happy with the decision. The screen looks great. And I even like the silver border.
  15. chedison macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2010
    i took a short trip to a city that had an apple store (closest one is about 2 hours away). When I went inside, it was glossy screens galore! Except for the one 17" AG... And man did it stand out in a very good way :).

Even from afar, looking at all those macbook pros being "attackied" by the sunlight coming in through the front doors and ceiling, and the AG sitting in a heavenly corner, it looked SO much better from afar and close up. (sorry, i went a little overboard, I'm getting my mbp either tomorrow or Friday :D)

In short. Anti Glare. Definitely.
  16. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2010
    Apple tree-Toronto
    Ag are easier on my eyes for long periodsss of looking at screen
  17. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2007