MBP 17" and 24" ACD versus the new 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 20, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Ok, so the new Apple products have been released.

I just literally ordered my 17" MacBook Pro and 24" ACD (arriving tomorrow) and after hearing about the insanely powerful iMac, nevermind the 27" realstate, should I have gotten an iMac?

Aside from keeping it all together into one device, I know that there are pro's and con's between the two.

Any real reason I should have waited and purchased the iMac versus the Macbook Pro / 24" ACD?

I just want to hear everyone's thoughts.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What do you currently have? And do you need the portability?

3. akadmon macrumors 68020

Don't open it. Get a Mac Pro instead. Seriously.

P.S.

Just kidding. I'm sure the 17" MBP will serve you just well. However, if you you will be spending most of your time sitting at your desk (i.e., portability is just an occasional convenience), then yeah, get a 27" iMac and a netbook (or a $500 windows laptop).

4. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to have portability hence the current MBP 17" that I have ordered was a 500Gig 7200 RPM, 4 MB, 3.01, Matte Screen.

5. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Do you need a powerful, portable computer? Keep what you ordered.

Otherwise, echoing akadmon's thoughts, get the imac and a cheap netbook or CULV.

Personally, if I were getting the 24" ACD for home use, I'd get the 15" MBP for more portability, you might even consider the 13 if you don't mind the small screen. Best of both worlds.

6. jaycee520 macrumors regular

..I would keep what you ordered..Your MBP has enough juice.Macbooks
    are way more versatile so dont feel envious to the Imacs.See with the display
    you can use your MBP and maybe later on you could add a mini....

7. macshark macrumors member

Return the 24" ACD. Get a 27" iMac instead. You can use the 27" iMac as a display for your MB, or you could use it as a second machine to run background jobs, as a file/backup server, etc. when you need one. For example, you could keep a mirror image of your MB HD on your iMac HD...

The price of the low end 27" iMac is worth it just as a 27" 2560x1440 IPS display with LCD backlight...

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

hm....id say keep what you got...unless you absolutely need two systems.

you could send the stuff back and wait out until reviews come in about the options of the display input on the new models.

i havea 17" 2009 MBP and a 30" and would love to consolidate to perhaps a 15 or even 13mbp and a 27" imac for doing multi purpose work and remaining portability and desktop use.

i may just sell the 30" and pay the difference towards the 27" and keep the 17 get the best of both portable and desktop lol.

the choice is yours

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's a tough decision.

It's not a bad idea because at one time I had a similar setup, it's nice to have your entire computer the same when at your desk with big display and away from it. It would be a beautiful setup.

I think a 15 and the display might have been good too.

A cheap notebook and an iMac would have also been an option as mentioned.

It's really hard to say. I think you'll have a really beautiful setup though there. The display you could use for future Macs too.

I think both options are pretty good. I don't know if I'd go to an iMac only option unless you really don't need any portable at all.

10. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

I think my whole debate is simple the fact that for the price that I paid for the 17" MBP and the 24" ACD, it's more than the current released 27" iMac. That is even when I jacked up the iMac specs to 8mb, best processor, 1 TB HD space. I mean seriously what the heck!

Of course, we can make the argument that the iMac isn't portable.

Isn't there something to say about keeping all eggs in one basket. If something goes in the iMac, wouldn't the entire 27" be rendered useless? Of course, I guess there's Apple care.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah I think the difference in price is due to the fact you have a portable AND TWO displays. Remember you can use both displays together too.

If it was my *ONLY* computer, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the setup you planned first. I mean you're getting a really slick notebook computer, with a gorgeous display, fantastic speed, etc. PLUS you're getting a gorgeous designed to work with it external display. If you think about it, that is a pretty cool setup and you're just hours from having it.

If the money is a real deal breaker for you, that is one thing. If this is really the setup you want and you can afford it, go for it.

12. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess....

You can't ever keep up with the changing technology!