MBP 17 and raindesign mstand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand_specs.html

It says it fits the 17 mbp. It does, but it kind of does not work too well because of the weight factor.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem:

If I lift the lid on the display, the magnet is so strong that it lifts the laptop off the stand.

Also whenever trying to type on the thing causes it to bounce up and down after every keystroke.

I think its a nice looking stand and if you use external keyboard and mouse it's fine.

I think that the aluminum design is too springy for the 17 in mbp.

What do you think?

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You do know that particular stand is designed for you to use an external keyboard or connected to an external screen and not for you to just type the laptop's own keyboard right? Thats why its called a stand, just a place to rest your macbook/pro on and use as a a desktop. Not designed to use as a typical notebook cooler.

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I disagree with outrigger. I have the same stand, though i always used it with external keyboard (i actually use it now beside my Cinema display to extend my desktop). if you look at the FAQ you will see few answers indicating that the stand is also designed to be used for typing:

Attached Files:

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That's the setup I'm using at this point and I don't seem to have those issues.

1) There is a notch for a finger to hold the base of said MBP so that the whole MBP doesn't lift up like a jack in the box when used with some discretion ;)

2) If the unit, the mstand, didn't have any give it would have to be really thick or made of something else or a different way.

Just curious as to how heavy you are typing that it causes it to bounce where it could be of concern? I bought a new Apple KB to use but that's because I use a ton of hot keys when using Flash so that part is the main reason but to do stuff like now the stand works well. I think it is pretty sturdy for the 17" MBP but that's just me…

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use mine with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a 23" ACD
    No issues or problems with my 17" MBP

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While I'm no longer using my mStand, typing on it was predictable. By no means would I use the notebook keyboard for long amounts of time on the stand, if I typed lightly I didn't have that many problems other then given the heigh of my desk, the stand made it a little too tall, if I pounded on the keys, there was some flex and bounce - I use the Logitech Alto now (for the desk) and the iLap for the lap, couldn't be happier.