MBP 17" Best Configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lalanda, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lalanda macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am buying a 17" MBP and need some advice on the configuration. I've used the search function and trawled Google, but can't find a definitive answer.

I am opting to upgrade the RAM myself, so shall leave that as stock.

I have decided to spend the $48 for the faster hard drive.

My big question concerns the CPU. I am not a "power user". However, I do tend to have a bunch of programs running at the same time, and keep tons of tabs open in my browser. It's not video rendering, but several word processing programs, iTunes, browser, Adium, all at once. The only gaming I plan to do on the computer will be WoW level.

Battery life is not so important to me as I tend to stay plugged in. Is the reduction drastically significant with each chip?

Heat! I have a 17" MBP 2,1 and the heat is crazy. Is the difference in processor heat scorching?

The biggest factor is how long I keep my computers. This will be my main computer for the next 4-5 years. Future proofing is my major concern. Lack of hyper threading, for example.

So...

i5 2.33

i7 2.66

i7 2.8

Which is it?

(I can't wait for the MBP update, as I am buying this in the US, and the UK will have crazy tax after Jan 1st)

Thanks.

2. juro macrumors member

Would be interested to hear the responses, too, as I am considering a 17 MBP as well.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I game wow, my specs are in my signature, have the 7200rpm drive too.
    The only reason I went with the i7 is because I'm planning on keeping this laptop as my main computer for at least three years, at which point I might get an 8-core iMac.

4. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Go for i7 that way you won't possibly have regrets (until the next rev comes out, that is :))

5. robertbrian23 macrumors member

to answer his question.

i7 2.66
    why:
    512 330GT graphics card compared to 256mb of i5

why not 2.88 because of the ripped off price for the sake of mere 144MHz

but still it is up to you.