MBP 17" Blacklit keyboard does not light up - ever.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lexhayes, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lexhayes macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    Please help. The blacklit keyboard on my mid 2009 17-inch MBP hasn't been working for months now but I really need to get it fixed coz I'm planning on selling the computer this week.
    When I first got it, the blacklit keyboard worked perfectly & I thought it was fantastic but it just stopped working & I haven't been able to find any answer on any forum anywhere on the Net to help as yet.

Ok, so:
    *YES I have the box ticked under keyboard in System Preferences & I also have it set to "never" turn off when my keyboard becomes inactive.
    * YES I have tried it in different lights & none of the keys light up at all regardless of whether its really bright, really dull or pitch black.
    * The F5 & F6 buttons (as it is on my keyboard) work normally & the little bars move up & down when I press them just like they should but nothing happens, there's no sign of light whatsoever.
    * The Caps Lock & Num Lock LED lights work perfectly.
    * I've just downloaded & the latest version of Labtick & tried it for the second time but once again, nothing, it doesn't work.
    * A few people in other forums have said they've had similar problems & it's been caused by having new RAM or HDD installed in their laptops & some sensitive ribbon that got bumped during their installation was causing the problem BUT I haven't had anything like that installed, in fact I've never even opened the back of my laptop.
    * I've also tried resetting the SMC & even that hasn't made any differences & I"ve rebooted it & done all those things.
    * The laptop has never had anything spilled on it & it's never been dropped either so its not a problem resulting from that sort of damage either.

Does anyone have any other solutions or suggestions of things to try or do you think it's probably due to a hardware fault that can only be fixed by taking it in to Apple & getting them to replace the keyboard???

Thanks SO much in advance for your advice.....

Lexy :(

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

If you installed Lab-Tick and they still aren't turning on.... I would say it is a hardware issue. Just because you havent been inside doesnt mean that something in there isn't messed up.