MBP 17" crashed HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Faaz, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Faaz macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum so sorry if i make any mistakes.

I hope someone could help me out.

I have a MBP 17"
    2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    500GB 7200rpm

A week ago i was working in Photoshop when suddenly the whole system froze to a stop. The PS file was rather big, 30+ layers in a 18MP pic or so.

I just thought the machine was busy handling the file, but then it went in sleep-mode and never woke up :(

I pulled out the power cable to let my MB die out on it's own, so the next time i would boot up, it would have my PS file still intact.

But the mayhem was about to beginning. Since then, the drive just fails to mount or only would boot up in WinXP (Bootcamp)

I ran the Disk Utility software from the Macintosh DVD, trying fix the drive, but there were "Invalid Node Structures"

Then i installed OSX onto an external HD and started to work from there.

I've ran Stellar Phoenix to try and recover/backup my files, but sometimes the drive would not appear or just thought it could unmount itself while scanning.

Next thing i've used was Disk Warrior, which took 60 hours to complete the job with eventually giving the error something like "Could not recreate directories, try to backup your files within the preview folder" followed by "Could not create preview folder, try to scan your disk again" or something like that.

Like i was thinking, DW should do a pretty damn good job fixing things from a unmountable, unbootable, bad-blockish, somewhat physical damaged drive, even though i've never encountered such things like that with this machine, so why all of a sudden right now?

Anyway, i've downloaded Data Rescue 3 and tried to clone the whole damn thing to another external drive, but guess what, no files were transferred, although it díd took like ten hours to read every sector on the internal drive.

Eventually i've done the cloning thing again but this time saving it as an image. As i was expecting, the cloned image would not mount, cause my internal wouldn't do that as well, but with a quick scan with DR3 it could not find any files, although my image is as big as my internal drive.

So now here i am, sitting and waiting for DR3 to finish the deep-scan and hopefully, grab all the things i need.

But now the question:

What is wrong with my disk? Never had any problems with my machine as mentioned earlier. Always worked like a charm.

My theory is that, since my drive was somewhat overloaded, digging into a PSfile with a size of like 6gigs, the scratchdisk full and stuff.. powered out my machine caused sever damage to the internal structure of the drive.

But is it possible that it would cause physical damage, like bad blocks or so..? I really don't know.

Obviously did not make any backups lately, so blame me on that one, a hard lesson to learn.

Some side note's:

Sometimes, my disk was able to boot to WinXP
    Sometimes, when i did or did not scan, all of a sudden a message popped up sayin "I would unmount my drive safely instead of just pulling it out"
    Sometimes, a couple of minutes after i booted, a messages popped up sayin' something like "Could not repair Macintosh HD, you can read it and pull data from it, but you're not able to write" or so..

Also, excuse me from using bad language or grammar here and there, i'm not English.

Anyway, greetings and already thanks for reading.

Faaz.

2. Scalfani macrumors member

I have had luck recovering data from bad HD's by using a linux ubuntu live disc. Maybe try that? You can download the .iso and burn it to a CD.

3. Faaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never used ubuntu/linux so i'm a total noob with that, although i've heard sometimes it even could recover data from a clicking disk, so maybe i'll try it out and see what i can learn.

Thx for the tip.

4. Faaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm..

From a 500gig nearly full drive, DR3 recovered aprox. 19gigs of data.
    That ain't good..

5. Faaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I am reading a lot of stuff lately, found this line of text:

"You can repartition the drive (don't secure erase) to being all Mac OS Extended (Journaled) again. Then run the full recovery scan.
    Now that the drive is formatted properly it should perform a detailed scan."

Could someone confirm that? Should i just format my drive and then preform a full scan?