MBP 17" Glossy display - does this have LCD backlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickday, Feb 28, 2008.

1. nickday macrumors member

Hi,

Thinking of getting one of the new *high resolution* 17" MacBook Pros - but I want one with a glossy screen. It's not totally clear in the Apple specs if the high resolution glossy screen has the better LCD backlight, or the older type - any ideas?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. LVdustin macrumors regular

Just to let you know, they no longer use LCD displays for the Macbook Pros, it's all LED, which means that the pixel itself is independently backlit, instead of a LCD where it emits a light from the side, you were inquiring regarding the new Hi-Res 17" Macbook Pro, I assure you the resolution as well as the backlight are much more superior to the previous LCD.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure both high-res 17" screens will have LED backlight, though I'm not sure about the base 17" version.

4. Smurfed macrumors regular

Hi-Res 17" Both have LED on Matte and Glossy.

5. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Seems like there's a bit of bad information here. All of Apple's new laptops use LCD displays. All new 15.4" MacBook Pros use LED backlighting. LED backlighting is optional on the new 17" (the default backlighting used is by a cold cathode fluorescent lamp). LED backlighting does not light up each pixel independently. Instead it lights up the display as a whole from behind the display with LEDs.

Customize your Mac
    LED backlight

6. nickday thread starter macrumors member

Sorry guys I meant LED and not LCD - it's been a long day!

OK, so it seems that for the 17" models, only the high resolution displays are LED backlit? This is what the Wikipedia entry suggests too.

Just want to be 100% sure, don't find it's crystal clear on the Apple site :)

Nick

7. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

According to apple's website, only the hi-res screens on the 17" models are LED back lit. This includes both glossy and matte.
    The standard resolution displays are the same as before.

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I would suggest that you do some research PRIOR to posting such a response.

You are incorrect on several matters. LCDs ARE USED - and only the 17" HD screen 1920 x 1200 utilizes LED backlighting.