MBP 17 Grey Tint Screen problem when using 9600M gt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yellowmuffins, Jun 19, 2009.

1. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I got this new unibody mbp a little over a week ago (I got the previous gen 17inch discounted right when the new ones came out). I just recently noticed this problem occur. Whenever I use the higher performance setting, the 9600m GT, a lot of things on my screen get washed/greyed out. This happens on both my mbp screen and the external its hooked up too. If I use the integrated graphics it goes away. So I'm guessing there's something wrong with my Nvidia card? I first noticed this problem last night when my tabs in safari started greying out, and now its spread to most applications. Anyone ever dealt with this? It frustrates me to know that such a new mbp could have a problem already.

I thought I'd include a picture so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well depending on the build (OSX) that it shipped with, you may want to try a clean/fresh install of the OSX from your disc because for some, a tint was given based upon a certain OSX build. If you try a search (use mroogle) in the forum you will find that some have had this problem and I have seen this on a matte display at my local Apple Store a few weeks back. Most that have gone ahead and performed a fresh install have claimed that the screen is absolutely fantastic.
    My screen was great out of the box but I'm not sure yours is only related to the card? Does it look the same using the 9400? I have mine on the 9600M, had it for a week now and no problems and everything looks great using Aperture, Flash and so on.
    So while it might be the card I'd give a fresh install a try anyway to see if that helps and give Apple a call or visit an Apple Store and show them.