MBP 17 Highres glossy colors are wrong ! Even on the replacement !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrjeep, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mrjeep macrumors newbie

Hi
    I recently bought a MBP 17 with a glossy high res screen. The first thing I did noticed is the colors are wrong. Well, not all colors but the light grey (like the colors used on this very forum for title bars, like "Post New Thread") look a lot more like light pink no matter the angle I look at. I've been of course disappointed about it but maybe they made a mistake so I've ordered a replacement.

The replacement arrived today, however, the problem is still there. Plus the keyboard is a little defective; I have to push the keys a lot harder otherwise a lot of keys are not registered. Mostly the "T" and "S" get missed.

I try to calibrate the screen and I manage to get the light grey to display correctly. However, dark grey looked like dark brown. This is no good to me as I do a lot of web design.

I'm wondering if someone here experienced the same problem as I did. Do you think a matte screen (non-glossy) would fix this ? I mean, this is not a 600$ laptop, it's mostly for designers. I can't think they would sell laptop that display bad colors.

Anyway, thanks for you help !

2. itown macrumors newbie

Never been a fan of Glossy Displays. To me the colors seem a little off track & artificial with the glossy display. I know since you are designer true colors really matter a lot so go for Matte display instead I have a High Res MBP with Matte display and colors are absolutely perfect...... Now about the keys Some keys do need to pressed harder..... for me it was the shift key and now I am used to it. I had a Vaio earlier and the keys were really soft and MBP not so much.

3. JWest macrumors 6502

If you're having problems with the keys as well, I'd suggest seeing if you can get the whole thing replaced at your local Apple store (make sure to explain everything, tell them you've already had the display replaced once). Otherwise I'd suggest getting one of those color calibrators. They cost around $80-$150, and you just put them on your screen, run the software, and it calibrates your colors. Here's a link to one called the HUEY, it's a fairly popular calibrator.

4. taylorcjones macrumors newbie

taylorcjones

JWest is right. I'd grab a HUEY or a Pantone calibrator. You should be using one anyway if you're a web designer. Try calibrating the monitor with one of those devices, and then see if you're still experiencing a problem. I really think you're better off with the matte display- glossy is just not going to cut it for a designer.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

BS, a calibrated glossy display is just as accurate as a calibrated matte display.

6. taylorcjones macrumors newbie

taylorcjones

Sure, I don't think anyone said that they are less accurate though.

If you are a graphic designer, and your name is taylorcjones, the matte screen is better. The colors (saturation, and contrast) on a glossy screen are exaggerated. I can't make you believe that hah, but I am a commercial photographer/retoucher, and my living depends on the highest quality possible. I've tried to do print work from computers with glossy screens, and what I get on screen is way off from what I print. I have always gotten a better screen to print result with a matte display.

If you don't do print work for a living, and you're working in a dark environment with few light sources to create a glare or reflection, go with the glossy screens. I think they look awesome in the dark, and they are probably a lot of fun to use. As a professional, I can't argue against someone's preferences, but I can state my opinion. Matte might be the best choice for me, but for someone else glossy might be the only way to go.

Grab a hardware monitor calibrator such as the HUEY, calibrate that monitor, and if it looks better, GREAT! If not, you're going to need to calibrate the machine you exchange it for- glossy or matte.

7. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I second that the matte displays are more accurate. I design for web and print. Calibrated my 17" MBP with a Spyder2 PRO which does a fine job for the price. The default color profile is extremely yellow and just awful. Invest in a hardware profiler and your problems are solved no matter what type of screen you have.

8. mrjeep thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey!
    Thanks for all your help, it's very appreciated. I think I'll first call apple and see what the options are and no matter what type of replacement I'll ask for a matte screen.

Thanks for your help

9. mrjeep thread starter macrumors newbie

I've ordered a replacement this morning with a matte screen. I'm crossing my fingers this time :)