MBP 17" i5 FREEZE only when Plugged in!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eeklipz, Nov 9, 2011.

1. eeklipz macrumors newbie

To those who care to help a intermediate mac user:

My Macbook: 17" Mid 2010 i5 2.53 8GB RAM (upgrade from OWC)

Problem: Macbook will freeze when being charged up from 85W Magsafe.
    Note: Magsafe has No visable signs of frayed wire, and charges computer perfectly.

Although, When plugged into Macbook, I get about 1 minute to do anything and "BAM" freeze...No response from mouse, no response from quick escape keys. NOTHING!

When not plugged into power supply: MBP functions fine. No freeze, no problems. However, I am using this as a recording studio computer (Protools 8.0.5), and I can not bleed the battery just to be able to operate this Mac!

What I have tried: PRAM (Nothing), Unselecting Graphic Switching Box (Nothing), Turn Off Bluetooth (Nothing), Repair/Verify Permissions (Nothing), Turn OFF time capsule (Nothing), Do a Vodoo dance....You get it NOTHING WORKS!

What I have not tried: Going to Apple Genius Bar (Don't care to visit apple zoo), Re-Install Lion (Did when I bought it used, and had to migrate everything from capsule which took forever!), Replace 85W Magsafe (Seems to work, but could be faulty?).

So all in all, before I throw this computer from my balcony, can some one please give me advice. Your help will mean so much to me because I need to start working on my album, and I am losing my faith/trust in my apple product. Thanks

eeklipz

P.S. I have read the hundreds of forums posts in regards to the monitor plug in problem, the NVIDIA issue, the EFI 1.9-2.3 updates, logic board,....blah blah blah!
    Important thing I should add: My lion/and all Mac files where migration added (Wirelessly). Could this cause some problem in a driver?

2. ET3SW macrumors regular

I would try resetting the PMU

Shutdown the MBP
    Hold the power button until the front indicator light starts blinking. You will then hear the chime. Release finger.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

I'd recommend ruling out the MagSafe adapter first before moving on to performing any sort of software reinstallation. If you know anyone else who owns a MacBook Pro simply ask them if you can try their adapter with your computer and see how it reacts; alternatively you could drop by the Genius Bar at an Apple Store (I know you really don't want to but it's one of the easiest ways) and ask them if they could try another adapter as they're usually pretty good with such requests.

4. eeklipz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I am going to try my girlfriends tonight. I thought of , but have not been able to do it quite yet. I will report back. Thanks for the reply.

5. eeklipz thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to my GF house and used her 60W charger. It did not freeze at all while plugged in at her house, so I went back home and tested my charger again. NO freeze now. It is weird becasue before when I had it plugged in it would freeze (only while plugged in) everytime. Moreover, I have kept the battery at %100 while plugged in to operate the computer during this fixit stage.

My new question/quiry is: Could the battery have a bad cell at a certain stage like %10-50?

When I was having the freeze problem the battery was quite low and needed charging, and thats when I would plug it in and experience the freezing problems....Very strange bug that still makes NO sense.

6. Mersailios macrumors regular

That is indeed an odd issue... try draining the battery back down again and perhaps see if you can reproduce it?

7. eeklipz thread starter macrumors newbie

I will test for the forum and myself and post my findings. I hope this may help someone else who is experiencing this down the road.

Can the apple store test battery for bad cell? Or any other place in that matter?