MBP 17-inch hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Mar 9, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So I sometimes like to use my computer with the keyboard perpendicular in the air resting my legs when I'm lying down.

So I've kind of stop doing that now that I have the 17-inch because the hinge doesn't hold the screen up (It closes). I went back to the store to check if my was a defect, but I've been told it does this because the display is too heavy.

So anyone have a way to make the hinge tighter?

Regards.

2. cashmoney macrumors member

I always wondered why I could slam the lip shut on the 17" macbook pro but not the 15" pro. It all makes sense now. Well regarding your problem, i'm not sure if you should do this, but I think there are two screws in the back of the macbook pro near the hinge that if you tighten it, it will make it more tighter. I know it works on the 15" pro but an apple employee told me not to do it too tight or the screen will fall off...:confused:

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean the ones on the chassis or the ones on the hinge anchor after removing the top of the computer?

'cause the ones on the chassis are for opening up the computer

4. Area51Tazz macrumors member

One of the Apple Store people told me I could bring it in and they would tighten it up for me...have you asked about that?

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm going to the store today with a boatload of issues. I will ask.

6. tranceteria macrumors newbie

I have the SAME ISSUEEEEEE, it's annoying, my last HP was tight! I could literally spin it and the hinge would stay the same.

Let us know how things went at the apple store, reckon I should do the same.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I have been told they cannot tighten it because there is no way to do it short of opening the computer up.

8. Area51Tazz macrumors member

"No **** sherlock"

That's what I would have said. :p

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well your MacBookPro Hinge kinda looks like this..

[​IMG]

even, if you went to the trouble of ripping the machine to bits, like I did. you still can't tighten the actual hinge... Those screws are only for the mounting of the display.

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

My 17" doesn't close by itself at any angle. I'm pretty sure i read about a way to tighten the hinges, let me see if I can dig up the article.

11. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its always been like that even since the powerbook 17" the screen is just too big. Even my powerbook g4 17" (last gen), 17" mbp, 17" mbp hi res the screen closed.

13. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Then you'd get a bunch of complaints. :rolleyes:

14. drayon macrumors 6502

Is this issue we are talking about here perfectly represented in this youtube vid ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJXAzHaCUgc

If so i have this issue as well. Ive recently checked out about 8 PC 17" laptops at shops, none of the displays on those machines flops down like the MBP. BTW those PC 17" machines were much heavier than the MBP. The display was tight and did not move from its set position regardless of angle the machine is set to, or even upside down, they dont move.

Apple design flaw IMO and a cop out "this is normal" because they cant be bothered designing it differently so it doesnt do this.

15. Smurfed macrumors regular

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

On my 2.5ghz 17" penryn I use it the same way you do on my bed in that sit up position with the mbp on my lap and the screen doesnt close. I dont know if my 17" mbp is the exception but its screen hinge is pretty tight to close or open.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just saw the video! Whoa you are a smurf!! :D yea I noticed my 2.5ghz 17" hi res penryn mbp's hinge is very tight as well and doesnt close easily.:D

18. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

What an idiot. Half the stuff he said was wrong and he sounds like he's 4. Who gave that twerp a $2500 laptop.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

In the beginning I thought he was a girl then it turned out to be Steve Jobs son?? He thinks his laptop is a super computer... long as he can play spong bob square pants game??!?

20. Smurfed macrumors regular

Lol, that's not my video btw, just found it using YouTube search.

Yeah just try not to watch anything past the first 45 secs where he just shows the hinges, everything past that is just.. T_T

21. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I just ripped apart my computer and the hinges do not look like that. They have this long spiral thingy. Not sure what it is. Not modding that :eek:

22. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

The tech guy at apple said he tightened mine, guess he was lying :mad:

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I still say that the newer mbp has a lighter screen so that is why the screen doesnt close anymore.

24. gelatin macrumors 6502

ive got a new 17 inch mbp and i just noticed this problem too :(

25. gelatin macrumors 6502

since my MBP is brand new im thinking of returning it to be repaired.
    i bought it online, will i be able to take it to the apple store for them to fix?