MBP 17 inch price too much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lockberry, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Lockberry macrumors newbie

Hi folks, I in the process of buying a new laptop for my college.
    The thing is, I want a big screen laptop (17 inch) since it's going to be a desktop replacement and I won't be moving it around much.
    I wanted to buy the 17 inch MBP, but first I did some research to compare similar laptops from other OEMs and I got to tell ya, the price difference is massive!.
    First I customized an HP dv7tqe series, with everything a MBP 17 inch has, (except from screen, HP has 1080p analysis, MBP has 1920x1200).
    Everything else is same like processor, ram (8GB). HP has Blu Ray reader which Mac doesn't have (don't you think it's time?). Also HP has ATI 6770 1GB, while MBP has 6750.
    Well, price of HP is $1455, whille MBP is $2700!!!!. I mean really? I want so much to try osX but for $1245 is too much. Can anyone justify the $1245 more?
    Also I saw the Dell XPS17 series, which even with 3D Screen and Blu Ray, 7200rpm HDD 750GB, it's still $1151 cheaper that the MBP which has less hardware. Why such an overkill in price? I just don't get it.
    Can anyone shade some light into this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is 13"/15" with an external monitor an option? If you don't move it around much, then having a display at home for desktop-like setup sounds the best solution. Depending on your needs, even the 13" MBP might be sufficient then and you could easily get the setup for less than $1500.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Apple charges what they charge, I'm not sure what else can be said on the topic. If you think it's worth it for OS X, then get it, otherwise pass.

Just consider that you're getting the unibody enclosure (sturdier than a lot of windows laptops), an awesome trackpad (how so many PC manufacturers get this wrong I will never understand) and an OS that could make you more or less productive.

4. Liquinn Suspended

I do agree with you to be honest. You could get a 15" with a couple of 24" monitors for the price difference. Perhaps I should take my own advice? But I already have my eyes set on that 17" Macbook Pro next year.

I'm going to use it as a desktop replacement and will be using for 5 years or so.

Cheers

5. borisiii macrumors 6502

Hellhammer has the best idea IMHO.

If you decide a Mac isn't for you, the dell xps is one of my favourite windows laptops right now. They feel solidly built and offer excellent performance for the money. Also, the speakers are stunning - louder and better sound than any other laptop I have ever seen - including the MBP 17. Make sure you get a 1080 screen, as the standard config is quite low res (I think 1600*900 or possibly even lower).

6. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

You need to compare like-with-like. My previous Dell was specced pretty much identically to my MacBook Pro 17 and cost £1865. My MBP cost £2100, so the difference is not massive. The MBP has a very high spec.