MBP 17" + Intel G2 SSD or iMac 21.5 + MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by urxtream, Apr 18, 2010.

  1. urxtream macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #1
    Both setup works out to be similar in price. Which would you pick?
     
  2. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #2
    That depends solely on what needs you have.

    Is mobility important and do you already own a desktop?
     
  3. urxtream thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #3
    I currently own a Lenovo X200 which I'm planning to sell after I get either of the setup !

    I'd prefer the mobility of cos when I have to take it out....the 17" MBP would be too bulky and heavy to lug around !
     
  4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
  5. Benjones-KY macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #5
    17". Personally I'd get a 15 instead, since it's just as powerful. I'm guessing you need the screen space though.
     
  6. chikit macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    #6
    The second setup suggests that you don't need performance on the go, meaning you work only in one place. For me, I would go iMac + MBA route.
    Or even, iMac + MBP 13".

    iMac resolution would be higher and you would have two screens (+ laptop). The 17" really isn't very portable. And considering the fact that you seem to not require performance on the go it would be more cost effective to go with desk + laptop.
     
  7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    The MBA is really due for a refresh. I personally wouldn't be able to work with just 2GB of RAM.
     
  8. urxtream thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #8
    Yep the screen space on the iMac would be good and the light weight of the MBA would be good on the go but as many people had suggested, the MBA might be due for a refresh soon. So I might just get the iMac first (if no updates are rumored) and continue to use my Lenovo until the new MBAs come out.

    Btw how does the i7 in the MBP and the C2D 3.06 in the current iMacs stack up in terms of speed?
     
  9. koyou macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Location:
    HK
    #9
    Pick the iMac+MBA as mobility is your first choice. Lenovo X200 is a laptop with only 12" screen with 2GB ram as default (correct me if I'm wrong). MBA has a comparatively larger screen and similar weight. I think not much people will bring along their 17" MBP on the road.

    However, MBA is due to update. Do you think you can wait?
     
  10. urxtream thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #10
    Yes you're correct, my X200 has a 12" screen adn 2GB ram. There's a Rev C refurb MBA for $200 less and am considering whether to pick that up or not :confused:

    Decisions, decisions !!!!
     

Share This Page