MBP 17 + iPad or MBA + iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benjayman2, Mar 20, 2011.

1. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

What would you choose? Currently I have the former, but am considering just buying a decent display if I ever switch to a MBA to use as an extension as to combat any screen size related hinderance in productivity (excel and accounting software is what I mainly use for my job). I feel the MBP 17 encourages me to use my ipad a little more when it comes to consuming (browsing, reading, games), which is great, but I'm wondering if I'll start to use it less if I have an air. Sorry I wasn't sure if I should put this in another section. Any input would be appreciated.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

To me OS X is a totally different experience than iOS. Even Lion, which has iOS touches, is by far a more complex operating environment.

If I want to read the NY Times, iPad is for me. If I want to edit photos, use Flash sites or any kind of major typing, Mac is for me.

3. ffonsok macrumors member

Keep your pro, get an ipad. Hook the pro up to a 24" monitor that you can get off craigslist for $120.

4. PeterKG macrumors 6502

If you have an iPad, you don't need a MBA. You will end up using the MBA more. Get the low end MBA, and it will truly be an extension of your work computer, PLUS great for consuming.

5. benjayman2 thread starter macrumors 6502

benjayman2

So you do all your work on your 11" and have no plans of getting an iPad? I love reading on my iPad. I've already finished 2 books on my 2nd gen since getting it wed, and probably a bookcase full on the 1st gen. That is something I would probably never accomplish on a mbp or MBA just cuz of how I hold it. I guess I'll wait out for the air refresh and go from there. I start a new contract with my job in September where I'll have to commute more and bring both devices along. I guess that's where these thoughts of swapping my pro for an air even came about. Thanks for the help.

6. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

MBP and iPad for sure. My needs as a designer are probably different but a MBA would never be suitable as my primary machine.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i couldnt bring myself to get a MBA at this point. I really wanted one but the MBPs are so much more powerful now it seems pointless unless you only browse the web.....and in that case get an ipad 2. maybe if I had an i7 imac or mac pro id go with a mba as a secondary machine.

8. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have a 15" i7 for heavy duty tasks at home, I have a MBA 13" as my everyday take with me computer, at work and home and grad school, and I have an ipad for meetings at work, take to the mall while my wife shops, to entertain the kids etc....so I feel there is place for all these things its just in what you really need to get accomplished.

On a flight, since I travel a lot for work, I prefer the ipad, better battery, better overall experience....but to use day in day out MBA is amazing....if I have to do heavy photo or video editing....the the 15" comes into play, not to mention i reserve the 15" as my server also...so all pics and music gets stored on it....

9. benjayman2 thread starter macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Totally understand. My good friend who just graduated ID at UIUC last year is still wanting more power from his i7 mbp 15. I guess in my field I feel I'm underutilizing the power of my MBP (other than screen real estate) at the moment and I'm increasingly using my ipad more and more for consumption. The only time I seem to use the power of MBP is for a little photo editing or slight game playing (once again the ipad fills the void for that little spurt of game play I desire).

The GF and I were considering getting an iMac for the home, but once she get's her 11 MBA I really doubt she will even touch the thing if we were to purchase one. She is staunchly opposed to owning an iPad, which is ironic seeing that I'm such a proud owner of one :D

Thanks again for all the input.

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I really don't see the point of having an iPad with a Macbook Pro, or Macbook Air.
    But if i had to pick i would say MBP + iPad option would be best.

11. mooseknuckles macrumors member

I am currently running the MBP i7 17" w/an iPad2.

I have my MBP docked with a 30" monitor w/external keyboard and mouse. Best move ever. When I need to create content at home I have a solid desktop option. When I consume content around the house or in town the iPad is perfect.

When I travel for an extended period of time, I take the MBP.

I found melting my quads with a MBP no longer suitable for me.

12. benjayman2 thread starter macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Well you need something to sync it to :p