MBP 17" Late 2011 & SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bnorton, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Bnorton macrumors newbie

Talking to the folks at the Genius Bar, they are telling me that a SSD will not work well in a MBP 17" Late 2011 model? They said it was never tested or designed for it?

They say it will work but not very well? Anyone have experience with a 17" and SSD?

Of course when I asked him why does Crucial sell one, he had know comment. Playing the party line!!!

He was impressed that he could not see that I had a 3rd party HD that I installed!:rolleyes:

2. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Yes they work, no I do not have any personal experience, yet. I plan on getting a early 2011 (practically the same as yours) within the next month and I'll stick a SSD in it as soon as I get it.

3. Bnorton thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool I was thinking they worked. Then he also said that if it does work, you will not experience the full benefit since the system was not designed for it. The Read/Write does not work that well. SO his parting comment was make sure you are backed up.

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Wow, sometimes Apple geniuses need to just shut their mouths. SSD's work fine in the 17", I have a 512SSD in my mid 2011 working just as it should. The HD port is SATA 3 and I get the full speed according to the various speed tests I've run on it.

5. bozz2006, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

You were speaking to an Apple Moron. They look just like the geniuses, and are indistinguishable until they open their mouth and say something like that.

6. Bnorton thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, Is your MBP 17 fast? Is it a noticeable difference?

7. Scuba2do macrumors newbie

Works just fine!

My daughter has a late MacBook pro 17 and we installed a data doubler and 256 gig OCW ssd. We put the native drive in the data doubler which now sits in the spot the DVD was in. The DVD player was put in an enclosure. The operation was simple following the videos on the OCW site.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Very fast. Moving from a rotating HD to an SSD is the single best thing you can do in terms of speed increase. It is literally a night a day difference.

9. Bnorton thread starter macrumors newbie

nikhsub1, does your battery life increase using the SSD

10. Rajpdx macrumors regular

17 inch plus SSD works fine. The Oct 2011 supports Sata III - so it's super fast with a Crucial M4. In any case if memory serves, they offered an SSD option for the 17.

It's a good idea to update the SSD to the latest Crucial firmware.

Additionally, Apple tweaks the SSD's they supply to support the TRIM function (telling the SSD what it can delete permanently). Without the TRIM function the SSD's garbage collection does the job - and seems to do fine. To add TRIM support for a non-Apple supplied SSD you have to tweak one of the system files.

See here;

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

but double check for your system - this is a year old. First thing to check is whether TRIM is already supported (from the system information panel).

It's not essential though. I know people using SSDs in 17 inters without TRIM with no issues. Garbage Collection takes care of it.

Good luck.

11. Bnorton thread starter macrumors newbie

This is Cool! Thank You!!!