MBP 17' Lid Noisy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LDO2104, Dec 7, 2007.

1. LDO2104 macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2007
    Quick question from a recent PC to MAC switcher, I'm running into a issue with closing and open my new MBP lid. It makes a tight squeaky noise when I open it and close it. Is this normal or should it be a smooth process. I have not call Apple Care yet.

IMAC 24" 4G
    MBP 17" 4G
  2. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

May 22, 2007
    From my experiences, it should be nice and smooth. We have one iBook, 2 PowerBooks, and a MacBook Pro. All of them are smooth and quiet when opening and closing. I did have a first generation MacBook that squeaked when I opened and closed it, even when it just got bumped. I really hated it. It got on my nerves. I would call Apple, but I'm not sure what they'll do. Good luck.
  3. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    My 15" MBP squeaked a little when opening it. It wasn't the hinge, it was actually just something rubbing that had a very slight amount of play. It also went away after about a weeks worth of use. Try opening and closing the lid while pinching (holding tightly with two fingers) around the frame and outside/top case of the lid. That is how I isolated the exact spot that the squeak came from.
  4. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
  5. Blogger macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2002
    There is a special lubricant you can buy for laptop hinges, but if it's new, I'd let Apple take care of it. Mine had a creak when opening and they seemed happy to fix it.