MBP 17" matte or new MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MarkangDemonyo, Nov 18, 2008.

1. MarkangDemonyo macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a MP which I love but due to the nature of my work I have to get something more mobile so I'm looking at the MBP. I do video and creative design work which makes me favor the matte screens on the older 17" MBP. The larger screen real estate will come in handy as well.

In the new 15" MBP's favor is the unibody construction, nicer design and the easy access to the HD. I'd get the 15" plus a nice external display but due to budget constraints that's not possible. The downside for me is the lack of matte screen option.

Both options assume maxed out RAM, 320GB hard drive @7200, 2.8GHz for the 15", 2.6GHz for the 17".

After wading through the forums trying to find the latest updates on when the new 17" MBPs will be coming out (Jan? MW?) I also got some pretty enlightening points for both. I'd like to get a new 17" unibody if/when it becomes available but if the ETA is mid 2009 then I'd have to go for the older MBP. My MP is going to a team mate who's suffering on a Dell and I don't know if he can hold out much longer.

I'd just like to get any opinions on this. Thanks.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well, what is the most important function for you?? If it's the screen, then get the 17" matte before they become unavailable.

If it's to use something in the meantime and/or the unibody getting the update 17" then I suggest buying the new 15 unibody at the moment. It'll have a better resale value when you decide to upgrade to the 17" unibody.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Based on your needs, you may want to get the new 17" in January. Most people and rumors are that the 17" MBP will get a unibody construction in January. Yes, the unibody is way better as far as a sturdy solid nice piece of engineering goes.

Plus, the 17" has a high resolution model, so I would assume even if you want matte that it will be an option on the new 17". I think perhaps Apple is making the 17" the true professional's computer.

So, what if they only have the super glossy in January and you want the matte??? You get the matte as a clearance item and save over $600 or so.

Either way it's a winning situation for you if you can wait. From your post you mention mid-2009 for updated 17" I think... I doubt that as reports right when they were introduced was just a few months delayed.

Best wishes.

4. MarkangDemonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the posts, looks like I'll wait a bit longer then and keep monitoring the rumor mills. In the meantime I'll just boost my Dell-using team mate's morale by letting him use my MP for the heavy stuff.

Have a good one.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

We will probably get some great upfront rumors and info about the 17" in December. I expect it will be widespread knowledge as there is no point in being secretive as we all know to expect the unibody like the 15.4" model.

Someone will leak all of the details but not the pics but it will not matter since we all know what to expect. That is my prediction. Plus, it all will happen in the first week of January or so. The first day of the conference I think is January fifth!

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If portability is an issue, why not get a refurb MBP? You can still get matte on those, and have to lug around a little bit less computer. The 17" is really a desktop replacment system, isn't it?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. The refurb 15" MBP (matte screen if that is your preference) strikes me as a better option than the 17" which is a bit large to be able to lug around comfortably.

Cheers and good luck

8. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Erm, ok.

To the OP, and no offence to Scottsdale, there is NO substanitated proof or whisper of a rumour that Apple are going to have a matte option on the 17" model when it get brought into line with the new uni-body design. Despite the ramblings of MR members and their wishes (mine included! :D). Though I think it fairly obvious the 17" will get the unibody treatment.

Infact, it'll most likely be glossy due to the fact that it will take on the glass cover of the 15" unibody MBP. Apple are in a very arrogant mood of late; a "we know better than you" attitude.

Your needs sound like you could use a MBP sooner rather than later. So I would advise that you go ahead with the refreshed 17" MBP, which is still a great and powerfull laptop, or a refurb 15" MBP with matte option. Bear in mind I have no idea what state the graphics cards is in the refurb model, and it's worth asking online before-hand. The 17" is more 'lugable' than you'd imagine, I have several friends who carry around 17" models without complaint. It all depends on your usage, if you think you'll be doing some/a fair amount of work on unstead surfaces or crampt surroundings such as your lap or in transit, then the 15" will be better. Though if you know you'll be going from client to client, or from studio to home and a desk is always going to be there, the 17" would be ideal.

Good-luck!!

9. Piplodocus macrumors regular

I wouldn't entirely agree unless they squeeze 2 HDDs in there like the desktop replacement dell.

Storage is the main issue for me. External storage is fine, but still has problems (see my Storage Conundrum post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603525 )

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, you totally missed my statement that if the new 17" MBP had only glossy screen, he could probably buy the closeout matte for $600 off. That is what the discount was on the less expensive 15" model. So, I will stick with my statement that I THINK we will see a matte option and I THINK Apple will treat the 17" as the true professionals model by offering it in high resolution and matte finish.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If the screen is important to you, then the 17". But if not, and you need more bang for the buck, along with the newer nVidia chips, then the unibody MBPs.

12. MarkangDemonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

I'm forced to go with the new 15" as my boss wants me mobile as soon as possible and said I'd have to deal with the glossy screen which i did by insisting i keep my current 23" ACD -- not sure tho if i'll be able to hook that up to the MBP15" (which adapter, i'll have to visit the local Apple store to make sure i can). That and making sure to work in the dark.

My boss wants me to get the latest version so as to 'maximize the investment'. I did test drive both at the Apple Store and to be honest i felt more at home on the MBP15". This being my first time to use a laptop/notebook, I expect I'll be having problems getting used to the smaller screen (when mobile) as I've worked exclusively on desktops. I'll get the new MBP17" maybe late next year -- probably by complaining about the performance of what i was forced to get, haha.

Will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again and happy holidays.

PS. My teammate thanks you as well, his Dell's days are numbered.