Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,
As you can see my from my signature I'm currently working with a 24" iMac and i love it to bits, does everything i ask and i love the big screen. Anyway I used to have one of the first MBPs a 15" CD which was less than wonderful. I ended up getting it replaced because it would make an annoying humming sound and some of the keys would have a mind of their own. I replaced it and still ended up hearing the humming noises and it was also extremely hot.

So I'm just wondering is the current version better? Or are there any major complaints? what is the heat like?

And just to let you know i'm looking to buy a refurb, probably

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
17-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Learn More

• Save 18% off the original price
Original price: $2,799.00
Your price: $2,299.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Also I noticed i can get a high-resolution one for an extra $200, is it worth it? I'll be doing moderate graphic design work and most likely just a lot of every day use type of things.

Thanks for any advice :)

apple90

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Torrance, CA
Hi guys,
As you can see my from my signature I'm currently working with a 24" iMac and i love it to bits, does everything i ask and i love the big screen. Anyway I used to have one of the first MBPs a 15" CD which was less than wonderful. I ended up getting it replaced because it would make an annoying humming sound and some of the keys would have a mind of their own. I replaced it and still ended up hearing the humming noises and it was also extremely hot.

So I'm just wondering is the current version better? Or are there any major complaints? what is the heat like?

And just to let you know i'm looking to buy a refurb, probably

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
17-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Learn More

• Save 18% off the original price
Original price: $2,799.00
Your price: $2,299.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Also I noticed i can get a high-resolution one for an extra $200, is it worth it? I'll be doing moderate graphic design work and most likely just a lot of every day use type of things.

Thanks for any advice :)

Hi JasO! Congrats on your iMac working well for you!=

Yes, the early Macbook Pro's certainly had many issues with it since it was using a new type of CPU since Apple had switched over to using Intel as their main processor instead of the PowerPC, which is outdated. The current version are much much much better and faster. The only major complaints I have seen about this Macbook Pro is only related to OS X 10.5.1, which they will be updating very soon.

As for your HR screen replacement, I would not prefer it if you are not into serious gaming/3-D editing/photoshopping. It is your preference however so you can decide that. The heat is somewhat OK (although it gets hot sometimes since it is aluminum instead of plastic). Sometimes the fan is very loud when you are working on intensive projectes such as running Photoshop CS3, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, etc.

However if I were you, I would most definitely wait for three weeks until the new Macbook Pro's ship out (based on speculation and many rumors, a new Macbook Pro will be coming out with new features).

I hope that answered your many questions and if you do purchase a new Macbook Pro, tap yourself on the back for it~

With the best luck,

apple90

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I have a rev A macbook pro and have no heat related issues whatsoever
i dont just use it for surfing etc but do cs3,so i think it's pot luck as to
the machine you get.But i am thinking about flogging the old girl and buying
the next update

JasO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
^ Thanks for your information mate!
I do remember a lot of people saying that their macbook pro's were fine, I guess i was just one of the unlucky ones. Or maybe my one had too much thermal paste!

Hi JasO! Congrats on your iMac working well for you!=

Yes, the early Macbook Pro's certainly had many issues with it since it was using a new type of CPU since Apple had switched over to using Intel as their main processor instead of the PowerPC, which is outdated. The current version are much much much better and faster. The only major complaints I have seen about this Macbook Pro is only related to OS X 10.5.1, which they will be updating very soon.

As for your HR screen replacement, I would not prefer it if you are not into serious gaming/3-D editing/photoshopping. It is your preference however so you can decide that. The heat is somewhat OK (although it gets hot sometimes since it is aluminum instead of plastic). Sometimes the fan is very loud when you are working on intensive projectes such as running Photoshop CS3, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, etc.

However if I were you, I would most definitely wait for three weeks until the new Macbook Pro's ship out (based on speculation and many rumors, a new Macbook Pro will be coming out with new features).

I hope that answered your many questions and if you do purchase a new Macbook Pro, tap yourself on the back for it~

With the best luck,

apple90

Thanks for the great information Apple90 :)

I'll take your advice and definitely wait a few weeks, or maybe even a month or two just to see if anything new comes along. I'm also thinking of upgrading the ram and looking into hard drives. Although I'll wait and see what i get from the refurb as i remember people saying that sometimes they received unexpected upgrades!

apple90

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the great information Apple90 :)

I'll take your advice and definitely wait a few weeks, or maybe even a month or two just to see if anything new comes along. I'm also thinking of upgrading the ram and looking into hard drives. Although I'll wait and see what i get from the refurb as i remember people saying that sometimes they received unexpected upgrades!

Yeap, no problem JasO. I'm thinking about buying the new Macbook Pro's myself when they come out. But it is YOUR computer in the end and you will be the one who will be making the final decision. I hope you can choose wisely upon your own settings.

With the best luck in the world,

apple90

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.