MBP 17" Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by medelman, Aug 19, 2009.

1. medelman macrumors newbie

No I'm not talking about the candy either. I realize that this is such an open ended question but I'm looking for reasons to why waiting is pointless or on the other hand is a must. I like the look and feel of the current line but I'm concerned about the internals.

My main reasoning behind buying a MBP is to program for the iphone and any new hardware but also to use final cut studio. I also would like to be able to play some more modern games. I need to be able to bootcamp to windows because I am an EE student with the need for some windows apps.

I have been a PC user since the days of dos and the 8086 CPU. I've used Macs (first was Apple IIe) before but never owned one personally. Ironically I've always felt that Macs were overrated especially being an advanced PC user. Before I got an iPhone a few months ago, I thought it was just another phone that was popular because it was Apple but I've come to realize that it is well designed and it just works which is really what Apple is good at.

I see this as a big investment for me even with the student ADC discount so I want to get the most for my money.

From what I understand a cpu refresh of the MBP could happen sooner rather then later that includes the quad core processor and an updated video card? I realize that the core 2 duo line has been out for some time and is reaching the end of its life, but how soon do you think this will happen?

I don't want to play the waiting game forever as that is pointless in the world of computers, but I can at least wait a couple of months if there is thought that they will be refreshed. I have a year left of school so will be able to take advantage of the once in a lifetime discount. I also currently have an X60t table that I have installed windows 7 final on so I will be set for my school needs.

As experienced mac users, your thoughts and rants are greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

17" MBP may see an update within few months because it was left out in June and last update was in January plus Clarksfield is coming in Sep/Oct.

3. medelman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had read about the processor coming out, but didn't realize that MBP 17" hasn't been updated in awhile! I thought it was this June, so things like this lead me to wait a little longer. When announcements are made, how soon do the updates usually come out?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually Apple ships them in same day or within couple days. Sometimes like in last 17" update in January, it took about a month for Apple to start shipping them but I think that was due the 8 hour battery.

5. AMessy macrumors member

The current MBP can do all you require...however if you are considering waiting, then you really don't need a MBP right now. In that case i'd wait until you really need one.

6. relativist macrumors regular

It sound like you don't have a Mac right now. My suggestion is that you buy a 13" MBP, the base model, right now. Since your a student you will get a free iPod Touch, and I think you also get $100 towards a printer, well my bookstore has that. Anyway, paired with a chepo 22" monitor you can do all you are talking about. You can either keep or sell the iPod Touch, up to you.

Later, when the CPU refresh comes around, and your right it's coming soon - the current architecture has been around for a few years now, then sell the 13" MBP and buy the 17". The good thing about Macbooks is that they hold their value relatively well.

I'm doing the same thing, except I'm using a white Macbook to hold me over, one that I got with a $200 MIR - which is similar to getting a free iPod Touch that you can sell.