Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I had sold myself on the MBP 17" w/ HD display but I did some math and saw the bottom end MBP plus a ACD 23" was almost exactly the same price. After giving each the fast 160 drive the difference was about $20 w/the ed discount. (any difference less than about $150 isn't enough to influence my decision)

The 1st option gives me a slightly faster processor, more VRAM (I don't game) and an extra port.

The 2nd option gives me more portability, the LED screen and extra real estate when at my desk.

Am I missing something?

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Do you need the portability? If so, go for the 15" LED MacBook Pro + 23" Display. Another reason to go for the 15" LED MacBook Pro + 23" Display is you could use the MacBook Pro for portability purposes and at home just hook it up to the 23" display and use it as a desktop.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Do I *need* the portability? Probably not but I like answering email in bed (the Daily Show helps my writing) and surfing in a comfy chair. I suspect 15 will be easier to deal with in both situations.

Also, I bring the thing to my kids' school once or twice a week so it does leave the house but 80% of its use will be at home. Naturally, I can't know with any certainty how I might use it in 2-3 years. I own my computers for about 5.

BenHoleton

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Definitely the 15" plus ACD, unless you have specific reasons for the HD screen. Remember, the hd screen will make icons on your desktop smaller with the hd ratio turned on. You'll get more screen real estate with the acd, plus if you need to take it somewhere, it's more portable.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I'm currently in the same dilemma. However, if I got the 15", I'd rather wait for a bit before getting an external screen. More specifically, I'm waiting for higher resolutions on the 24" monitor, or LED backlighting on it. Or I'll just see what Apples next display update brings.

MichaelThomas

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
I use to have a 17" powerbook.
Now i have a 15" MBP and a 23" ACD. Honestly its amazing being able to lay in bed surfing the net and chatting to some friends, and then when i need to do my design work, just hook it up to the 23 and I have 2 monitors on the go. Its the best combination between portability and a desktop in my opinion!
Go for it!

eyebeaz

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2006
Personally I'd much rather have the option of a bigger screen, and also more portability when needed.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks everyone. Before making the final decision I'll head to the Apple Store this weekend to see the new 15" LED screen vs the 17"HDef. Nothing beats kicking the tires.

I'll absolutely wait for a new release of displays before buying an ACD.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Thanks everyone. Before making the final decision I'll head to the Apple Store this weekend to see the new 15" LED screen vs the 17"HDef. Nothing beats kicking the tires.

I'll absolutely wait for a new release of displays before buying an ACD.

Good idea, seeing them in person is always a smart choice if you are unsure of what you really want. :)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Definitely go with the 17". I had a 17" PB and now I'm using a 15" MBP and a 20" Dell 2005fpw LCD. I miss the extra room and now with the added resolution option on the 17", it's a no-brainer for me. If I had that screen I'd never need to hook up an external monitor.

Dual screens are nice, but keep in mind it's not just plug and play. You need to have ample desk space, and ideally a laptop stand and external mouse and keyboard, and then resolutions don't always match up going from one screen to the other, etc. etc.

I bought an iCurve and the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and an optical mouse. For me hooking everything up is an extra hassle, and I rarely use the LCD nowadays, even when I'm doing photo editing or audio work.

JaxMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
Can anyone tell me if the ACD monitors are currently discounted at the Apple Store or is that the MSRP?

Thanks.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Definitely go with the 17". I had a 17" PB and now I'm using a 15" MBP and a 20" Dell 2005fpw LCD. I miss the extra room and now with the added resolution option on the 17", it's a no-brainer for me.

Gee thanks, NewSc2 - Just when I was closing in on a decision you had to come along and make some good points based on experience. ;)

As I said, I'll know a lot more when I see the screens. My wife will use it a small part of the time (10-20%) which means she has to be able to deal with the new 17" resolution. (I need HD resolution since I scored a HiDef camcorder for Christmas) I'm hoping a personal look will make this a no-brainer. Probably won't but a man has to dream...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jump on the 15" + 23" ACD option. I had that (and the 17" by itself) and preferred the larger "home" screen with smaller "travel" screen.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
I kinda have the same problem, but I already have the 23". I just dont know if I should get a 15" or 17" MBP. Because of portability I would be inclined to take the 15" but having the 17" would give me twice the 1920x1200 resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.