MBP - 17 or 15 + ext monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fxstb2002, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fxstb2002 macrumors member

The headline pretty much covers it. I am looking to buy a new MBP, and trying to decide which to buy, either the 17 with the HD res screen or the 15 with an ext monitor with HD res screen.

It will be mostly used for photo and video editing + internet research and database management. At this point, I don't know whether I will be using it on the road or in the office more. I think I would prefer to do most of it on the road and at home in the evening, although the prospect of a large monitor would cool as well.

How comfortable is it working on the 17in screen vs working on a large ext monitor?

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Get the 17". You can always buy a monitor. Not so easy getting a bigger MBP.

3. Essjay macrumors regular

I have the 17 and I do photo and video editing on it and I love it, although I also have an external 24 inch monitor.

4. fxstb2002 thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to keep hardware costs to around $3200-$3500 as I am going to have some additional software costs for changing my CS2 for Windows to CS3 for Mac. Adobe is making me upgrade when I cross-grade.

By the time I add the cost of the upgraded screen, a 7200 rpm drive, some additional ram, and an external hdd, I will be at that limit.

I am spending the company's money, but I want to be prudent about it.