MBP 17" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gabri, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Gabri macrumors member

Hi, I'm soon going to order my 1st MBP. I want to get the 17" but after finding this thread https://discussions.apple.com/message/15982491#15982491 it made a little bit worried whether should i go with the 17" or get the 15" instead.

So i wonder if anyone came across this issue & if i should worry or not about it. Cause i'm going to pay a lot & don't want to get something with nearly 17k & turns out to be problematic .

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That seems to happen with some 15" MBPs as well. Go with the model you want, you shouldn't make decisions based on issues as you should expect +$2000 laptop to have none. If there are, you can always exchange the laptop for a new one.

3. BLOCKMONSTER macrumors member

Honestly, you cant go wrong with either. Freezing is usually related to a specific component of that machine and nt a certain product line. I tried reading thru all the posts but most sounds like they have "me too" syndrome. I havent had any problems with mine and I changed out my hdd, optical bay, and ram before even turning on the my MBP.

And my config is 15" 2.0 i7 with 500GB Momentus XT in original bay and optical bay plus 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1333 RAM.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u wil hate carrying the 17inch around and it takes up more desk space

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I don't really think it's that bad to carry around at all...

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its not th e weight thats the problem, its the surface area it takes up

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Trust the 13" owners.

Everyone else is biased.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have both 15" & 17" MBP's.

Don't listen to those who fail to have personal experience with a 17".

Its my absolute favorite and I carry it to work daily. At only 1" wider & 1lb. more than my 15", it's very easy to carry. It weighs less than most 15" laptops of other brands.

The extra large 17" display is truly awesome. No other MacBook has the high screen resolution, gorgeous color & contrast of this model. As an only computer it's the one to have.

9. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1190651&highlight=(being discussed here)
    by the way i had the same problem and went with the 17".IT'S GREAT AND THE RESOLUTION IS PERFECT NO PROBLEM READING.It is definitely not hard to carry(upstairs and downstairs everyday) and is much more heat efficient (bigger fans/more surface area).I had a 15" and comparing the size the 15 looked like a 13".Go with the 17" you will have no regrets.

10. Gabri thread starter macrumors member

I'm not concerned about about the weight/width cause they are nearly the same 0.5kg more for the 17" & 3 c.m. in width.

My main fear is to get a faulty machine cause it'll will be hard to return it back or even send it to be repaired cause i'll have to pay a lot in those cases ( i don't know why but Apple store here don't repair machines that were bought from outside of Egypt they have to send it back to US to be repaired & they charge you for this but if you bought it from Egypt they will repair it here ?! )

Actually i chose to get it from the online apple store cause it's cheaper than the retail store here (17" standrad configuration nearly 19k while the config i want is 8GB of RAM & Anti-Glare screen from the Apple store after shipping & stuff nearly 17k ).

I think i'll go with 17" & let's hope i'm one of the lucky guys :)

11. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

i have no problems with the 17" MBP. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, no problems at all. Just a few bugs with Lion, that I am sure will be addressed.

12. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

13. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I had the 2011 MBP 15" hi-res machine and took it back and got the 17" mbp instead. They are so close you might as well have the best and the 17" is a media mega-machine. It's bigger, faster, has a screen resolution for a laptop that I don't *think* you can get on any other laptop, at least not that I've run across but I could be wrong. At 6.5lbs it's not even very heavy. The 15" mbp isn't really that far behind. I'd say get the 17" unless money is a concern or if that extra 1.5" or so of width really makes a difference.

14. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I was thinking the 15" Hi-Res was the perfect balance, but now thinking about going all out for the 17", but thinking the footprint might just seem too big for use on my lap for insistence.

Any one get the 17" and end up taking it back for the 15" High-Res?

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's bigger. It ain't faster, particularly if you game. 1920 x 1200 is a lot more pixels to push than 1680x1050 with the same GPU.

16. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Are you saying the High End 15" Hi-Res would have a faster FPS rating due to pushing less pixels?

17. NutsNGum, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yessir. At the same graphics settings, and at their native resolutions, it would run more smoothly. Although obviously you can reduce the resolution on the 17.

To be fair, I'm having the same dilemma, can't decide between 15 or 17. I can afford both, so I'm not especially biased towards the less expensive option, there really are only pennies between the high-end hi res 15" and the 17". If you game, there are excellent videos on YouTube of both models.

18. shoppy macrumors 6502a

17" all the way, i just received my new 17" yesterday and love it. It a amazing machine. I have tch 15 also but prefer the 17".

19. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

17" BETTER
    case closed.

20. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I use my 17" mostly on my lap. I'm an average sized guy and it works fine. It's a bit askew when I prop a leg up over the other but that's an issue with angles not size. It's really ideal for around the house. You can easily cart it around inside. It's when you go outside that you may want to think about whether it's going to be a good option.