MBP 17" owners: The hinges...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anuba, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'm trying to work out if the screen hinges on my MBP 17" are supposed to be like this or if they're out of whack on mine... please do this test for me:

Adjust the screen so that it's vertically aligned and your MBP has a perfect L shape from the side. Now lift it up and turn it toward you 90° so that the screen is horizontal and the body is vertical.

Does the screen stay in place or does it start falling toward the body?
    On mine, the hinges can't handle the weight of the screen, so the "L" quickly becomes a "V".

No biggie, but it's a little annoying for certain 'ergonomically challenged' positions, like the bottom one in this picture (weird product, btw):

[​IMG]

2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, apparently the 17" has a different hinge inertia system built into it as opposed to the 13"/15" Macbooks.

It would be nice to know we can use a laptop in positions more vertical but for the 17" is just too darn big anyway.

↓ much appreciated! It's a minor peeve of mine. The comp in your sig...I'd check the specs.

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

FTFY :)

5. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Ah. Tish, tish.

Oh well, that figures... it was built to look good, not to be practical. I should've know when I first opened the lid and saw a giant mirror instead of a computer screen. ;)

But you know, the hinges being this loose might be a precaution. I'm guessing that if the hinges were tighter, the weight of the screen would put so much stress on the aluminum that cracks or deformation might develop over time...

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Mine stays in place fine.

7. assisterah macrumors newbie

8. mmacc macrumors member

Mine has the right amount of tension and stays in place nicely. No problems ever since I got it back in March. The 17" has a beautiful LED screen. Mine is glossy .... love the high contrast images and vivid colors! Reflections? ... not really a problem .... just tilt the screen or turn the computer a little or just turn the brightness up.

9. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

I see. Matte or glossy? I'd imagine the matte version is quite a bit lighter. If I shaved a couple of ounces off this glossy screen it would be just enough for it to stay in place.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's an interesting product in my opinion.. especially since most Japanese people spend more time laying around on the floor compared to the western counterpart. I'd love to get one!! But i have too much luggage as it is.

Aside from that, My MBP 17 (non unibody) does exact the same thing:( When I was last inside the machine I tried tweaking the springs, only you can't really adjust them cause they're coils of thick metal!! :rolleyes:

Though I've worked out a way to keep the thing in pace... What I did was to get some rubber stick on feet, only remove the sticky stuff and cut them into triangles and when you need them, just shove them in the gap between the display and the back of the chassis - JUST REMEMBER TO REMOVE IT before you close the thing.. lol:D:D

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The 15" is the same way. There were a bunch of posts about it when they first went glassy.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes it's matte and a light touch is all that's needed to move it in that position.