MBP 17" Power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tongrd, Feb 3, 2010.

1. tongrd macrumors newbie

I've got an extra older adapter that is 60W, but my new MBP runs off an 85W i think, so would it be alright to use the 60W with my 17" MBP, or will this somehow screw up the battery or something?

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It won't even feel the charge, it's less power, it just wont work, and if it does you're underpowering your computer which could scew up stuff

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Haha, wrong on all counts except for the underpowering one. It will charge, just very slowly. I'd try to use an 85W adapter though.

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Agreed. I've done it myself. It will charge, but a little more slowly. If you only charge overnight, or always keep it plugged in, it won't affect you a bit. If you're often recharging on the road though, you'll definitely want a 85W adapter.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Ouch! It seems I'm a huge smartass! Sorry :)
    I still think it could screw up your battery through...

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Actually its better for batteries to be charged slower and with less power than faster and with more juice. You would probably be doing your battery a favor by using less watts.

7. tongrd thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats good to hear because the cord on the 85W charger is rather short so I use the 60W one for travelling, thanks guys:)

8. carl l macrumors newbie

Wrong. It'll do no harm at all, but if running multiple high drain apps it may not have enough power so the computer battery may drain rather than charge.

I keep a 60W as backup but usually use the 85 it came with.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Same here. 60W power supply is a good back-up but I normally use the 85W one.