MBP 17" refurb quality

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Hi guys, have any of you had a refurb mac? I was wondering what the quality of them was like as the 17" is so cheap compared to the new. Also is refurb worth it?
Thanks Connor

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
I've purchased a 17" MBP from Apple as a refurb now twice and both times they have been legitimately indistinguishable from a brand new machine other than the fact that they don't ship with the regular box. There have been absolutely no signs of wear and I never ran into issues with either machine. Both were kept around 15-18 months and used every single day.

Keep in mind that Apple does retest and verify every refurb prior to reselling them so if there was any issues major or minor it wouldn't be sold. I personally highly recommend going the refurb route as the savings on most configurations are incredible.

Comment

maswriter

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
I've had my refurb 15" MBP for over two months now, and I love it. The quality of mine also is indistinguishable from a new unit. It even had that "new laptop smell." I had my refurbished unit sent to my local Apple Store, and they went through the same complimentary initial setup as a new product. So, if you don't mind waiting for delivery, refurbished is a great option for saving money.

Comment

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Ditto. My 15" is a refurb and I had a white Macbook as well. It is a great cost saving opportunity. I believe it is guaranteed to look like new cosmetically.

Comment

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Hi guys, have any of you had a refurb mac? I was wondering what the quality of them was like as the 17" is so cheap compared to the new. Also is refurb worth it?
Thanks Connor
Yeah...you definitely need a new computer, 'cos your search button doesn't work. :eek: Lots of discussion about refurb MBPs already in these forums, including a couple of posts from me talking about how you get a great computer for an even better price. :D

Buying a refub from Apple = no worries at all. Unless you don't like saving money, that is.

In my own case, I even got 8GB RAM instead of the normal 4GB in my Feb 2011 17".

Comment