MBP 17" Screen DEAD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danyk, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Danyk macrumors newbie

Hey, been reading post's on here all night and i cant find a solution to my problem. I know i should go and see an apple shop but im far away and will cost quite a bit of money on trains!!

One day after restarting, the screen just did not come on. I tried turning off and letting it cool down, taking battery out and holding power down and putting back in etc. Plugging dvi cable in and sleep + clicking mouse to wake it up on external screen and nothing has worked. Last night it came back on after ages of trying different things but today it just wont budge at all!!!

It turns on, starts up fine and gets into osx just the screen is not working. E.g. the volume keys work up and down etc.

Is there anything any1 can sugest to do before paying stupid train prices and underground tickets.?!?!?!?!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call AppleCare. They may be able to walk you through some diagnosis stuff. If it is a hardware problem, then they may send you closer for repair or have you send it in.

TEG

3. Danyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx for the reply - I have been trying to find the number to call but im being really stupid and cant find it. Any ideas? UK btw

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

0870 876 0753

TEG

5. Littlehoof macrumors member

I had the exact same problem about 6 weeks ago... took it in to apple - the inverter for the screen's backlight had died. New display assembly was installed and then it was found that some fault on the logic board was what caused the inverter to die in the first place so that was replaced also. Possibly the same problem with yours I'd guess? Has it been making any high pitched whining noises the last few weeks before your screens backlight went dead? failing inverters often do apparently... I don't think you'll have any solution but to take it to a service centre sorry - all the best though :)