MBP 17" SR hiRes v iMac 24" 2.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coogee, Nov 25, 2008.

1. coogee macrumors regular

I have:
    MBP Santa Rosa, 17" Matte screen, Hi-Res model (1900x1200), 2GB RAM etc.. (June 2007?) with 3yr Applecare. (full details in Signature)

I'm considering a Refurb:
    Refurbished iMac 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ($1979 Australian)
    2GB memory, 320GB hard drive, 8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 with 256MB of GDDR3 Memory etc..

Reason is, now have Macbook in house for portability and MBP never leaves the house so I no longer need the portability of a Laptop (and to be honest a 17" was always a bit too big to be anything more than an occasional mover)

I'm considering flogging the MBP w./Applecare on ebay for hopefully $2000-$2500 (Australian) and using the funds to buy the refurb iMac.

Deal or no deal? Waste of time or anyone think I'd be better off? I know I'd get a much bigger screen (same res with I think 8-bit panel rather than 6-bit I would have now??) - anything else to consider?

Any advice welcomed, have 'the wife' wavering and now is the time to strike if it's to be!

2. thezerox macrumors newbie

Hm, what about to consider to find a refurbished iMac with NVidia 8800GS?

3. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't one on the Aussie Refurb store atm unfortunately, that 8800 does sound tempting though:
    http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE2NzY

and new it's A$ 2,619.00 GST which I think might be more than my MBP is worth (not that I know for sure) :(

4. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I've just seen maybe I can squeeze $2800-$3000 from my MBP looking at ebay prices so maybe things are looking up.

Anyone else done the same? Regrets? Never had an iMac before so don't know what I'm getting into, the MBP is a slither of beauty.