MBP 17 Uni - First Impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AxeManNY, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AxeManNY macrumors newbie

I just received my 17 Uni on Friday and thought I'd share my thoughts. I'm coming off a 2.4 17 that I've used for 1.5 years.

• Feel: it feels incredibly solid. Picking up my previous MBP with one had used to worry me that it was too much weight to support on the joints. I'm sure that's not the case, but with no flex in the enclosure I'm much more comfortable picking it up. Also, the rounded edges are a pleasure.
    • DVD Encoding: I do a fair amount of mini-DV to DVD encoding using Toast. I don't see much of a speed increase, but the new CPU/GPU combination runs so much cooler. My old MBP used to crank the fans up to around 4k while encoding, the new one's haven't bumped the fans up to over 2k. It's such a pleasure to not hear it screaming at me. I'm not sure if it's the CPU or GPU that is more efficient, but it's very welcome.
    • Display: it is crazy bright and rich/vibrant. I opted for the anti-glare it it still looks about 50% brighter. Also, the increased screen angle feels great. I do some browsing on the couch and could never tilt the display back enough for my taste.
    • Wireless Performance: I'm getting about a 25% boost in signal strength. Not sure if they antenna has been repositioned but it's much improved. I was always bummed that my wife's MB had better reception.
    • MultiTouch: I'm really enjoying it..very useful. Most useful with the Firefox beta for navigation.
    • Firewire: I'm a bit bummed about losing FW400. I had to buy and adapter to use my old FW400 devices and it's an awkward dongle type device that is a nuisance.
    • Port location: I'm not too keen on having all the ports on one side. It's inconvenient to have a gaggle of connectors on one side.
    • Drive location: preferred it on the front. I have to leave too much clearance on the side of my work area now.
    • Keyboard: I'm digging it. I prefer the new separated keyboards. I still wish for a dedicated 'del' and pageup/pagedown keys...but I realize that wish will never be granted.
    • Battery: not much of an issue; I'm usually plugged in.
    • Mini-display Port: no issues except that I had to pay $29 on top of 3k to get a DVI out. Seems a bit petty on such a high-end piece of machinery.

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

How are the viewing angles compared to the old Macbook Pro? Apple claims a wider viewing angle, but I've heard otherwise.

By viewing angle I don't mean the angle the display tilts back, I am talking about the colour shifts that occur viewing the screen from an angle.

3. AxeManNY thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm referring to the angle that the display tilts back. Viewing angle does seem a slight bit improved IMHO, but it could just be the increased brightness.

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus