MBP 17" Unibody: Should I wait before ordering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miguelito, Jan 31, 2009.

  1. miguelito macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #1
    I will be buying one of these. I am wondering if it is worth waiting for:

    1) A review... Completely new production line, they might get something wrong in the first batches

    2) An option for a 500gb/7200rpm drive (Newegg already selling these)

    3) A Core 2 Quad processor?

    Opinions?

    Thx.
     
  2. svalentine macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #2
    Yeah I don't know when to order as well. I sort of want to wait for some first impression reviews. :\
     
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #3
    1. You could wait to read reviews, or go ahead and order, and be one of the ones writing the reviews.
    2. It'll probably be a while before you see a 500GB 7200 option. It could be as late as the next release, which won't be for another year.
    3. You won't see a quad processor until Nehalem/Clarksfield comes out. That won't be released by Intel until Q3/Q4 this year, so won't appear in the Mac lineup until 2010.
     
  4. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #4
    I really don't care to write any reviews myself, thank you. :)

    I do care about not having to bitch and moan to a genius about some "widespread" problem, it is not worth my time (or anyone's really).

    I also care about a fast big disk, and 500 > 320.

    But I am also having to hold myself from ordering since this thing looks so damn hot!

    Anyway... Thx!

    miguel
     
  5. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #5
    You are totally right about the hd size though. The mbp 15" didn't get a bigger hd for the longest time.
     
  6. aikon66 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Location:
    Riverton. NJ
    #6
    Same here

    I want to buy a MBP and cant decide on if I should waitfor the 17" or get a tricked out 15" now-today!

    I am mainly going to use it for Photoshop and Lightroom only and the usual web/email stuff. I really cant decide and its bugging the crap out of me.

    One thing that concerns me about the 17" is its potential lack of user modification. Battery/HD/Memory. Im sure there will be a work around once its launched.
     
  7. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #7
    You should most absolutely definitely be patient. If you decide you really want the 15", then get that. If you want the 17", but are being impatient, I would strongly suggest that you arm yourself with patience and get what you really want. A month from now, you'll be kicking yourself if you ordered the wrong thing simply because you were impatient.

    Additionally, if you have access to an Apple store, do yourself a favor and wait until you can see both machines side by side. I live in NYC, so that's not a problem for me... (sorry!!! couldn't help it).

    miguel
     
  8. FunkTechNician macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #8
    damn sounds like i should wait to get my 17 as well
     
  9. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #9
    BTW... I will be using this machine for Lightroom/PS almost exclusively. I have a 15" mbp, and trust me: Lightroom needs more screen real-estate than that. It's too cramped with 1400x900.

    The 17" has no less than 1900x1200, which is the same as the 24" display tailored for the mbp's. This is amazing, and it will make your editing life oh-so-much-better. Additionally, the color depth looks to be really amazing (although I would like to see a real test, but this is not a decision factor for me).

    So if you will be doing LR/PS on this thing, and you're ok with the bigger footprint (compared to the 15"), then I cannot stress enough that this is the machine you should get.

    Just MHO.

    miguel
     
  10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

    pdxflint

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon coast
    #10
    Looks like you answered your own question...
     
  11. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #11
    truedat... :)

    I'm just ranting... I know what I should do: be patient.

    I gave the 15" to my sister a few weeks ago (how nice of me, just so that I have an excuse to buy something better!). I'm laptopless now. The withdrawal symptoms are killing me! killing me! :)

    miguel
     
  12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #12
    Well, another approach would be to keep the 15" and get the 24" or other ACD. That would give you the portability of the MBP, combined with the screen real estate of a bigger monitor..... and for less cost.
     
  13. miguelito thread starter macrumors member

    miguelito

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #13
    I really like to get 24" quality and real-estate wherever I go. For me the extra size isn't really a problem, as I am not toting this thing daily. If I were, then I might even consider the 13".
     
  14. aikon66 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Location:
    Riverton. NJ
    #14
    I ordered!

    I made up my mind today, quite easy really. I went to the Apple store and compared the 15" screen res. to the screen res on the classic 17" and the difference is noticeable, noticeable for me and the photographic work I do.

    So I orderd the 17" 2.9 with 7200rpm HD
     

Share This Page