MBP 17" Unibody WiFi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr D, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Mr D macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the Unibody MBP 17 will be using the same wifi chips as the other MBP?

I ask this because, isn't it known for the Mac's wifi to be a little weak?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My purchases since August '08 and as recent as Wednesday, January 21, '09 have all been "N" for WiFi and I've noticed a strong maximum bars at all locations where I utilize WiFi connections. I haven't noticed a weak WiFi connection yet. Not sure if I answered your question, since I'm not familiar with WiFi chips as you mentioned...

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I have a brand new Macbook Air. The airport signal is incredibly strong. I've never had issues with dropping or reduced signal. :)

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple uses one of the higher quality wifi cards that has the fastest wireless standard, 802.11n. Well it's true that the aluminum chassis can make a signal worse than a plastic chassis (that's why Apple switched the iPhone from aluminum to plastic), any problems you have will likely be because of the chassis, not the wireless card. I haven't had any problems at all with my wireless connection and I never have to reset it out of nowhere like I did in Windows.

5. limo79 macrumors regular

Wi-Fi card is under glass/plastic frame, so it should be less Wi-Fi signal problems now, but this is only theory ;)

Apple should also use Intel wireless cards - not only Broadcom and Atheros. This would better for customers and less problematic for Apple Repair Service, because drivers sometimes can not solve each network compatibility issues.