MBP 17 vs. MB + iMac 24inch??????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kohas, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kohas macrumors newbie

Hi guys im absolutely torn on what to do.

After mega researching, i am a PC user of about 10 years and have sworn by windows every time

however, my dell laptop has given in and after much research ive decided to plunge into the apple world.

now my work mainly consist of building websites and i do alot of adobe photo shopping

i do little video editing, maybe the odd time for fun...

the main programs i use are adobe photoshop , microsoft office, frontpage, msn, firefox, skype, and another few things.. nothing too robust.

i want something portable which i can lug around easily! however would love to keep a desktop at home..

SO...........:confused::confused::confused:

at first i was going to buy the 17 MPB - with apples student discount, it cost me about £1800 which is approx $2650 inc 3yr apple care..

however the main purpose was id like the big screen, ummm... that was about it and also portability, however...

i was thinking, i could get an imac 2.66ghz 24inch with 4gb ram 640gb hdd, for roughly £1100 for $1600 inc 3yrs applecard

Plus a standard macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb for £1000 = $1400 inc 3 yr applecare and it only weighs 2.2kg! in comparison to the 5kg the 17mbp....

help guys

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

macbook plus 24" imac is what i would recommend. best of both worlds :D

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you get a 15" Macbook Pro and a nice external monitor? The problem with buying 2 computers at once is that they need to be replaced at once. Plus, syncing them is not as easy or convenient as one would think.

5. becky409 macrumors newbie

I second the recommendation for a laptop with external monitor. You get the portability and big screen without the syncing issue.

I have a 15" MBP and 24" external monitor. If I'm working at home, I usually use both monitors at once to double my workspace -- this wouldn't be possible with a MB and imac side-by-side. I absolutely love the arrangement, and am VERY glad I got the 24" monitor instead of a 24" imac, which I was thinking of doing.

I like having the 1440-by-900 resolution on the MBP when I'm working on it alone, vs. the MB or MB Air's 1280-x-800. But I can see the attraction for the smaller sizes, esp. MBAir. (But, the MBP isn't really that much heavier than a standard MB.)

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A laptop and nice external monitor sounds like an ideal solution for you. Instead of transferring files, etc., between two computers you can keep everything on one and use the screen when you're at the desk.

The MB or MBP should both have sufficient horse power to do what you want. The screen on the MB (imo) is a bit lacking, but has excellent portability. The MBP has a few more features, and if you get the mid level 15", it is almost as portable and can take up to 8 gigs of ram.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'll throw out another possibility... how about an iMac 24" and a netbook for portability:eek:

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ A netbook for PhotoShop? 1024*600? I would rather use a old iBook G4 for photoshop than a netbook. I really need a 1680*1050 15 inch laptop. (the VNC hack that I am using right now does not work well for video)

I like 15 inch laptops and external monitors. Get the 2.66 MBP and a external monitor (the apple one is expensive I would recommend something else)

9. hobes270 macrumors regular

I was in a very simular situation. The majority of the people here will say to get a good notebook with an external display. I am trying this not however, when I work I look at my screen and have a ton of papers on my desk where I draw things up and such. This is not a so good experience given I have to keep a lapop on my desk beside my computer. I am thinking maybe the imac and mb would have been better.

10. pbkiller macrumors regular

I had the same scenario as you do, i have a macbook and a MacPro. I use the MacPro as my heavy lifter for my video editing+iTunes+iPhoto+web surfing, yout tube, etc... My macbook is my mobile lugger (i only use email, surfing, youtube on it, but i got it for $250 so it was a great deal). To keep my files synced i use dropbox. Would like to try a Macbook Air, but for the price i paid for the MB, an Air would be money not wisely spent...