MBP 17" vs. New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by broncopde, Jan 17, 2008.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

Here's my situation and I'm interested in any thoughts any of you have. I'm a college student and my only computer now is a wonderful 12" PB. With my scholarships I can buy either a MBP or MP this summer. I'm just not sure which I should get. I have $2500 of the school's money to spend and I also have an ADC membership. Therefore, Stock Macbook Pro 15.4 in. = $1730, Macbook Pro 15.4 in. 200 GB 7200 RPM = $1970, Macbook Pro 17 in. 160 GB Hi-R = $2510, Macbook Pro 17 in. 200 GB Hi-R = $2685, Stock Mac Pro-$2425. I have a couple hundred dollars to spend if I need no in going over 2500. Also, some more information: I can't buy till summer so it will be after a MBP update (whenever that happens) and I already have a 22" monitor (that I hook my powerbook to run like desktop w/wireless mouse and keyboard) so that's not an added expense if I buy the MP. I'm leaning towards going all out on the MBP (17, HR, 7200) because if I did so that computer could be my absolute primary computer for probably until apple releases something I cannot help but buy in the future. So anyways, thoughts?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The questions you need to be asking yourself, do you need to be portable ? What applications will you be running, do you need the extra power that the MP offers (ie. 8 cores instead of 2, so much more RAM, more space, better graphics) ?

3. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Good questions

I'll answer these questions for myself and will post them for further discussion. I do need to be very portable, a large reason I have the 12" PB. I want to do some video work when I get the money to do it right (which will be about a year). So we're talking Final Cut Express would be the most extreme of it. I could run this certainly on either. i don't really know if I had the 17" if I would take it or my PB to starbucks/student union/library/girlfriend's room. I would probably end up taking the 17" just to have that screen.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

If you need to be portable then the obvious choice is a MBP for now. Especially seeing as you wont be getting into FCE for a while, and it will run fine on the current version of the MBP anyway.

As a former PB17" owner I can say even though the screen is massive and the weight is heavy, it's still able to be carted around and used on the go, mostly. So a 17" at the appropriate time would probably suit you, however why don't you ask again in here closer to your purchase if your unsure then, regardless of if they have updated or not.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

From what you say, it sounds as though the 17" MBP is probably your best choice. Certainly it's powerful enough to be your primary computer (mine is) and gives you that extra level of versatility. I use mine for quite a lot of heavy Adobe CS3 use and it handles it without breaking a sweat. If you were going to make heavy use of the full version of Final Cut, I might be inclined to say that a Mac Pro would be a better bet, but moderate use of FCE won't be a problem on a MBP.

6. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd get the mac pro. That will be future proofed for years to come. Plus you'll still have the PowerBook for taking notes in class and stuff like that.

7. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

It sounds to me like you have already made your choice. Go for it.

8. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I agree, the MBP 17" H-R is probably the best choice for you. Since you're living quarters (I'm assuming) won't be all that big, having a smaller footprint in a computer is ideal. Having the 1080p capability will be good to ensure future compatability as well.

The MBP 17" is a very powerful machine -- just try to get it with a 7200rpm drive and 4gb of RAM.