MBP 17" worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fritzov, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. fritzov macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2009
    I am currently without a computer and need one pretty soon. Am I stupid to buy a 15" MBP right now instead of waiting?

    My MBP will be hooked up to a monitor 70-80% i use it so the screen size isnt that important.

    What else than a bigger screen and battery length am i missing by going for the 15" MBP instead of waiting another month for the 17" to be shipped?
  2. skubish macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Bigger screen
    8GB RAM BTO option
    2.93GHz BTO option
    3 USB ports instead of 2
    Matte screen BTO option

    non-user replaceable HDD or battery.

    Everything else can be BTO on the 15"
  3. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2009
    Thank you for the reply.

    Next question should be if the 17" is worth the extra $ it cost or am i just making a mistake thinking the 15" fills my needs.

    The problem is that if i could get a 17" within a week there would be no question about it i go for 17" but a being without a computer for almost a month is pretty hard.
  4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603


    Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Is it worth the money? Only if you have more money than you know what to do with. Bear in mind that a 17" mobile computer isn't a laptop, it's a portable desktop. Forget about trying to cart that behemoth around with you.
  5. numbersyx macrumors 65816


    Sep 29, 2006
    It's funny how people make a 17 inch out to be some sort of monster device that is crippling to carry around. It isn't. I have a 17 inch MBP and it transports fine. I have taken it on trains, planes and automobiles without any complaints. Get the right carrying case or backpack and you won't have any problems. It is only a couple of pounds heavier than the 15. Is a 15 inch easier. Sure it is but that's not your question.

    If you are going to use this for both your desktop and laptop - get it. You will get the extra real estate that is worth it. If you get the higher resolution it's even better.
  6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040


    May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
  7. mBox macrumors 68020

    Jun 26, 2002
    Thirt-party RAM?

    Has anyone ordered this with third-party ram?
    Im not sure if you can even sell the two 2GB sticks in base order.
    I really would like to fill this up but Apple RAM is way overpriced :(
  8. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2009
    I am not realy in the need of a 17" when i most of the time will have an extern monitor but the thing that hooks me up with the new 17" is the option to upgrade it to 8gig ram.

    I have read that the current MBP is capable of using 6-8 gig of ram, will this be an option after some kind of software update from apple or apple will not go that way?

    Second question is what resolution can i have on my external vga monitor using a 15"MPB?
  9. GT500Shlby macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Apple's ram isn't that much overpriced. 4GB sodimm chips are EXPENSIVE. Not really because it costs "that much more to make them." Memory is cheap to make, they just jacked the price of the 4GB chips because they are very rare.

    I have a 17" MBP and I will be purchasing the new one. Portability is fine - unless your a girl or a cripple. If your a guy, and can't carry around a 7lb, 1"x15.5" pc around, unless you have polio, go to a gym and quit your whining.

    I know some girls that use a 17" MBP as a laptop and carry it around everywhere.
  10. GT500Shlby macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    First Question: The chipset is capable of 8Gb of memory - however the 15" MBP became unreliable with anything more than 6GB of memory. So, yes - conceivably there has to be some sort of software update looming for the 15" MBP. The 17" MBP uses the same guts, just a beefier processor and screen.

    Second Question: I believe VGA is limited to 1920x1200 with respect to the current range of monitors available. With Dual-Link DVI & Display Port you will be able to use a currently available 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

    Hope that helps. :)

  11. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks for the answer. It lends more right now that i buy the 15" and save some money to get things like bag and etc.

    Third question is if there is a possibility to run dual external monitors on any MBPs?
  12. GT500Shlby macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    While the DisplayPort specification has enough bandwidth to handle two 1920x1200@60Hz video signals (without audio). Currently VESA has no plans on multiple display support. Of course - that's all I can find without PAYING VESA.org for the standards spreadsheet.

    I'll see if I can find the details sheet for DisplayPort 1.1a. But nonetheless, I doubt Apple supports it.

    Sorry, stuck with a single monitor.
  13. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2009
    Thank you for your help.

    Is it still possible to run the monitor on the mac + external monitor at the same time. I would be fine with that.

Share This Page