Mbp 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by racer1441, Feb 25, 2010.

1. racer1441 macrumors 68000

How's the experience people have had with 17 inch MBP?

Had an offer I couldn't refuse for my 13" mbp, and am getting the itch to spend some cash.

I'm liking the idea of all that nice screen room, but I'm not sure.

How is the 17" for everyone? Does it end up being too large to use productively?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Traveled all over the world with mine. Never had a problem as long as, when you're on a plane, you have an exit row, business, or first class. But I'm picking up an iPad for those times when I want to watch my own stuff if I ever fly coach. Get a good backpack for it and the screen real estate can't be beat.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As far as use, it would be more productive, since it has more screen real estate. The only issue is portability, due to its increased size and weight. That depends on how frequently you're mobile and what you would consider too much to carry.

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'm in a similar situation as you are right now, except that when my 13"
    MacBook died, I was able to borrow a friend's 17"er. It's not the most current one (MacBook Pro 2,1) and it doesn't have the highest resolution screen (this one is 16xx by 10xx), but I can completely tell the difference and its awesome.

I'm going to upgrade to a 15" MBP when the refresh comes around. Why you might ask?

1. Weight- the 17" is a big laptop, and the weight is really a lot heavier than the 15"er. I think I'll be more comfortable with a lighter laptop.
    2. Size- While the 17" high resolution screen is awesome... i have a feeling in an airplane or other sorts of limited space locations, it will be a pain in the butt. I have no desire to take this thing on trips because of the screen size, and I can always plug in an external display in my office. I think that's what I'll be doing when i buy my MBP- getting an external display.
    3. Size (pt 2): One thing that really bugs me about the 17" is actually typing on it. I will be the first to admit that I have bad typing form, so when I type on the 17", my forearms are resting on the edges of the computer- uncomfortable!

Now if you can live with all that, and the higher pricetag as well, then I say get yourself one because I really enjoy using it nonetheless, a vast improvement over my 13" screened MacBook. However, I think a 15" will be just the right size for me :D

5. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

17" is 1.1lbs heavier than the 15"...that's "really a lot" to you?

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

You'd think it wouldn't be, but I think the fact that it's also a couple inches bigger makes it feel a lot heavier than 1 lbs. ::shrugs:: It's just my taste comparing the notebooks.

7. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

Lots of the issues seem to be based on the airplane issues.

I can't fly, so I'm feeling a little better about it.

Also, no 15's in the refurb store makes it a easier decision I guess.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a 15", and it's too big to be a portable, so in an ideal world, I'd have a 13" air-esque machine (I have my sights set on the Dell v13) and a 17" MBP. And my desktop gaming rig :)

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I honestly think it comes down to how strong you are :p
    If you're unable to lug around a 17inch all day, then you shouldn't get it. That's why there's external monitors for that :D

Anywho, if money isn't a problem and you're strong enough to lug the 17incher around, go for it. Other than that, I see that the 15inch is possibly the right size for most people.

**Don't forget, if you have a companion, think of them too :]

10. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, 17" ordered up and should be here monday or tuesday.

Now, this is the worst time.....order in, but having to wait. :mad:

11. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Specs?

12. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

17" 2.66ghz, with 4gb ram. Glossy, which I really love.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I really like my 17" I am a small person (16, 5' 7" 115lbs) and I don't find it too big or too heavy. They screen real estate is really amazing and you can use 2 windows at one with no problems.

Does Apple 30 price guarantee apply to refurbs? IF so look to get around $150 back when the new models come out.

14. Ardoptres macrumors regular

15" is hardly too big to be a portable.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17" MBP works fine for me. I move mine almost every day.

It's no way too big or "heavy", considering most PC 15" laptops are the same size and same weight as MBP 17".

16. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think they do, but it doesn't really matter. I was happy with the price, so i bought it.

Well, unit came.

Thought it was a BEAST! for about 3 hours.

Now it's pretty comfortable. Gotta say, was a good way to go.