Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtkagan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
i currently have a MBP 17in 2.33 ghz. got it in 07. its been pretty good, but recently has gotten sluggish. i did a clean install of snow leopard. that helped a bit. then my fans started making those loud noises and needed to get replaced. now my let 1/3 of my screen is a bit dimmer then the other 2/3s, only noticable on lower brightness settings. I have the opportunity to get the new 13in MBP 2.26 ghz at a good price. do you think i should upgrade? will performance be the same, better worse? i used to game a lot but now mostly schoolwork and youtube. let me know what you guys think

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
you may have a bit of a hard time re-adjusting to the reduced screen resolution, but if portability is desirable, then the tradeoff may be worth it.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I have the same 17" MBP. I don't think it's worth the switch. Wait a bit and see if the new ones offer more Incentive to upgrade. Aside from better battery life and ability for more ram your giving up screen realestate and CPU speed.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I went from a 17" PowerBook to a 13" MacBook. The speed difference was huge, but the screen size was an issue for me at first. I only got a new MacBook because the PowerPC chip took 7 hours to encode a movie for my iPhone.

I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I have the same 17" MBP. I don't think it's worth the switch. Wait a bit and see if the new ones offer more Incentive to upgrade. Aside from better battery life and ability for more ram your giving up screen realestate and CPU speed.
There's more to CPU speed than just the clock speed. The 13" MBP has a Penryn Core 2 Duo, which offers slightly more performance clock-for-clock than his 17" MBP's Merom.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
There's more to CPU speed than just the clock speed. The 13" MBP has a Penryn Core 2 Duo, which offers slightly more performance clock-for-clock than his 17" MBP's Merom.

You're right but at the end of the day it's still a C2D. Some of that gain in efficiency is lost by the slower clock. Ultimately this is a lateral-grade at best and not an upgrade IMO. I think the OP is better served on a true upgrade which should come soon with a new architecture.

mtkagan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
thanks for the input guys. i was thinking it wouldnt be much of an upgrade. Im just going to wait till feb for hopefully the upgrades and go for the baseline 15 that way my eyes are not sore from such a huge drop in screen space:D

aldo818

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
As you are not really in an need and you can wait till february i would definitly wait and see if the new once come out. On the other hand no one knows anything for sure about the date it might also take longer i m in the same possition as you but i decided to wait as mine for the moment is working without major probs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.