MBP 17in 2.33ghz vs MBP 13in 2.26ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtkagan, Dec 24, 2009.

  1. mtkagan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    #1
    i currently have a MBP 17in 2.33 ghz. got it in 07. its been pretty good, but recently has gotten sluggish. i did a clean install of snow leopard. that helped a bit. then my fans started making those loud noises and needed to get replaced. now my let 1/3 of my screen is a bit dimmer then the other 2/3s, only noticable on lower brightness settings. I have the opportunity to get the new 13in MBP 2.26 ghz at a good price. do you think i should upgrade? will performance be the same, better worse? i used to game a lot but now mostly schoolwork and youtube. let me know what you guys think
     
  2. gfiz macrumors 6502

    gfiz

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    Virginia
    #2
    you may have a bit of a hard time re-adjusting to the reduced screen resolution, but if portability is desirable, then the tradeoff may be worth it.
     
  3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #3
    Performance will be better all-around. If you can live with a smaller notebook, go for it.
     
  4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #4
    I have the same 17" MBP. I don't think it's worth the switch. Wait a bit and see if the new ones offer more Incentive to upgrade. Aside from better battery life and ability for more ram your giving up screen realestate and CPU speed.
     
  5. lamina macrumors 68000

    lamina

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    Niagara
    #5
    I went from a 17" PowerBook to a 13" MacBook. The speed difference was huge, but the screen size was an issue for me at first. I only got a new MacBook because the PowerPC chip took 7 hours to encode a movie for my iPhone.

    I wouldn't do it if I were you.
     
  6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #6
    There's more to CPU speed than just the clock speed. The 13" MBP has a Penryn Core 2 Duo, which offers slightly more performance clock-for-clock than his 17" MBP's Merom.
     
  7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #7
    You're right but at the end of the day it's still a C2D. Some of that gain in efficiency is lost by the slower clock. Ultimately this is a lateral-grade at best and not an upgrade IMO. I think the OP is better served on a true upgrade which should come soon with a new architecture.
     
  8. King t. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
  9. mtkagan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    #9
    thanks for the input guys. i was thinking it wouldnt be much of an upgrade. Im just going to wait till feb for hopefully the upgrades and go for the baseline 15 that way my eyes are not sore from such a huge drop in screen space:D
     
  10. aldo818 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #10
    As you are not really in an need and you can wait till february i would definitly wait and see if the new once come out. On the other hand no one knows anything for sure about the date it might also take longer i m in the same possition as you but i decided to wait as mine for the moment is working without major probs.
     

Share This Page