MBP 2.0 Vs. 2.2 15inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeremy08, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Ok. I know I know. If you don't need it for 3d/hd rendering or gaming, get the 2.0.

For me (a student, eligible for the discount) it is only a $321 difference with tax. Many people have said that it is a matter of future proofing and having hardware that can support future OS upgrades etc. Also they say the resale value may be better on the 2.2 since it has better specs. I mean obviously it would be somewhat better, but will it make that big of a difference in terms of resale? Who knows I guess.

I would maybe game sometime, Im a huge PS3 COD gamer, so I do most of that on my PS3. But i also dont want to be limited.

Thoughts? 2.2 worth it? 1GB GDDR5 worth it for 321? I dont really consider the processor or hardrive increase that substantial for the $321. But then again, if i get the 2.0 ill at least upgrade (on my own) to a 750gb, though I would likely throw a 7200rpm in instead of the 5200rpm that comes in both the 2.0 and 2.2 models.

Anything I haven't thought of? Again, I am just a college student, but I do use aperature, i have a DSLR that shoots 1080p so I could do some iMovie stuff sometime. I dont game hardly ever, but wouldn't mind having the opportunity. Ideas?:confused:

Please give me constructive advice only. No flaming please.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No. The processor upgrade isn't worth it for ANY of the computers Apple sells. In that, I mean going from any model to an upgrade you can pay through them.

In fact, you should get everything (notebook related) base modeled (in terms up upgrades) and just upgrade it yourself.

And, another note, it isn't future proofing if you aren't ever going to tax the basic. By that I mean, it isn't worth getting the 2.2 if you never use the full capabilities of the 2.0; people seem to forget that.

If you aren't playing games, just stick with the regular graphics card. you have a ps3, why pay more for something when you already have a better (and cheaper) alternative right there next to you? Doesn't make sense to buy.

For Aperture and photo editing, the included graphics processor is just fine; I edit photos with no lag in Aperture on a baseline 13 inch MBP.

3. Jeremy08, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to get the 2.0. Now I just need to convince myself that I shouldn't stick it out with my 2.4ghz core 2 duo late '08 unibody macbook until they update the line again. What are others doing? Anyone holding out for the update, or just biting the bullet? I know these machines are plenty fast, but tall this talk of the "new product line" now has me worried I might regret it.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I don't think you should upgrade it. Do you have a reason to upgrade - too slow for your work, school, etc?

5. Jeremy08, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Not now or not at all?

Speed and screen size are my 2 gripes. My girlfriend also has an aging 2.2ghz core 2 duo white macbook from late 07 which she is gonna sell and then im gonna sell her my computer, if i decide to upgrade.

Also, just as a disclaimer: I live in nebraska, our local furniture/electronics superstore (Nebraska Furniture Mart) is willing to match apple's educational pricing, and give a 100 dollar giftcard to nfm instead of the 100 app store card. I can then take that giftcard and spend it on the applecare. Meaning I can custom order a 2.0 with a high res anti-glare display for 1834+tax and then buy the apple care for 139+tax. Meaning I can spend 2111.11 total instead of 2218.11 (7% tax) and won't have to deal with that pesky gift card no one wants. PS, my girlfriend is paying me 400 for the comp (a great deal for her, given the fact it has a 640gb hd and 4gb ddr3 in it), so ill basically end up spending 1711.11 for a new 2.0 with new apple care. Seems like a pretty good deal, obviously not considering the fact i spent 1800 on the mb 3 years ago. But i feel like 3 years from now (or maybe 2 years from now) that 2.0 quad core is gonna still be worth at least 800-1000 wouldn't you say? Sorry for the rambling, just thought I'd give more details.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Not now. Then again, for me, I prefer to buy the last generation of the current line before a new line of models come out - just my MO haha. Which is why I got the 2.2ghz 15in recently. Aperture runs much better and everything feels faster.

I did swap the 750 5400 with a 7200rpm though I don't really see a huge difference + upped the ram to 8gb.

My old computer, the awesome early 08 pre-unibody (expresscard ftw), ran everything decently though sometimes I wish it was faster.

For you, I'd say save the money, get the base-line, swap the drive with an ssd + get the optibay, and 8gb ram. The SSD will help tremendously imo.

Oh btw, the only reason I got the 2.2 was because I'm a PC gamer now since selling my 360 so the better vidcard will help me.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well the next generation of processors is Ivy Bridge, which is going to have about a 30 percent boost in performance. That's "great", but what you're doing (and what you'll be doing 3 years from now) probably won't max out the SNB processor in the quad core machines.

Also, aside from a different graphics card, there isn't much they could change, but it is a redesign so it might be something new.

My point is that if you need the machine now, get it now. If you can use what you have and wait until whenever that new one comes out, do that.

Try finding videos online of people using the machine you're going to get (or wanting to get) and see if the performance is what you think you should be getting for your money.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

The 2.0 and 2.2 Differ in regards to the 2.0 has a slower GPU with less GPU Memory. however that video related programs or gaming is not in your line of need then the 2.0 will still be efficient. max out the Memory and look for a 7200 RPM HDD or Solid State Drive and you will be set and will hardly notice a performance difference