MBP 2.0 w/ SSD or MBP 2.2 Stock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, May 6, 2011.

  1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    I'm having a tough time deciding b/c I'll be using this as as my main machine until the SNB MPs come out (hopefully later this year). If it wasn't for that I'd buy the 2.0.

    The main use will be Final Cut Studio, which I know is not GPU intensive, except for Motion, and that's the rub. I'm only a hobbyist, but I still don't want to wait 10 years for a render. I usually don't keep up w/ video cards much but it seems there is a wide gap between the 6490 in the 2.0 and the 6750 in the 2.2.

    So my choices are to buy the:

    entry level 2.0 and put in an SSD (my own, not Apple OEM)


    the 2.2 and put in the 7200rpm HD from my previous MBP.

    With either machine I'd put in 8GB RAM

  2. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003
    Get the 2.2. Faster, better video, etc. And you can always drop an SSD in it later--you can never upgrade the CPU.
  3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    Agreed. If you can get the 2.2 or even higher, go for it. SSD is optional later.
  4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    Well if this is only going to be your primary machine for a little while I would base my purchase based on what you want to do with the machine after you get a mac pro.

    The mac pro will obviously be used as your heavy duty rig and take care of all of your FCP needs. If you aren't going to need that much processor power from the mbp at that point, and are mostly going to be using it as a portable for word, email, browsing, photo edits, occasional FC work, then I think you would probably prefer the speed increases the ssd provides over the processor and gpu bump.

    The low end mbp is still going to render videos pretty quick and isn't going to take you ages, especially if it's more of a hobby.

    At the same time, if money isn't really the issue, you may like the higher end better now and can still put an ssd in later.
  5. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks. Money isn't an issue per se, but still looking for best bang for the least buck. I just don't know how good or bad the 6490 is when it comes to Motion. I know gamers trash it, but I won't be using for those purposes.
  6. NickZac macrumors 68000


    Dec 11, 2010
    My thoughts exactly.
  7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    I think it would run just fine... it's similar to the high end card in last years mbp's and people were running FCP just fine on them.

    I'd go look around in the video production forum and get an idea of what people are running. Since you aren't a professional editor I think you'd be fine with the lower one for a few months until you get your mac pro if you want to save money.
  8. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    Just to close out this thread I went ahead and ordered the 15" 2.0 Ghz. I could not justify the extra $350 since this eventually will only be a secondary machine. The weaker video card might be a PITA to deal with for a few months but once I get a MP it will be a moot point and I can think of better ways to spend $350. If this was going to be my only machine then the 2.2 would be a no-brainer.

    Thanks everyone for your input. It helped me think things through a little better.
  9. cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Great choice :D
    I opted for the 2.2 as this is my only computer, but if I had an iMac or MP would have probably got the 2.0.
  10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    good choice man.. i'm sure it will work just fine and you saved yourself some money. Once you get the mac pro, you may consider selling the mbp and getting an mba for the nice portability factor; assuming you aren't trying to edit in FCP on the road!

    Either way, enjoy your new machine!

Share This Page