MBP 2.13 (Merom) - Worth Upgrading to SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nman040, Mar 20, 2010.

1. nman040 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm currently running a Late 2006 MBP 2.13 and am seriously considering upgrading to SSD from my current 200GB 7200rpm Hitachi HDD. I may upgrade to the latest MBP when they are finally released. If so, I would transfer the SSD over to the may-soon-to-be MBP

System Profiler indicates that my MBP's SATA interface is 1.5 (Sata I) and I'm assuming I would not get the full benefit of a SSD unless it has a SATA II interface.

The following are the SSD's I'm interested in (prices in NZD):

1) Kingston SSDNow V+ Series 256GB - $1,400
    2) Corsair Extreme Series x256 256GB - $1,255
    3) OCZ Vertex Series 250GB - $1,308
    4) Intel x25-M G2 160GB - $786
    5) Intel x25-M 160GB - 1,198

Preferably, I would want to get a SSD around 250GB. 160GB would be really tight.

1) The only reason why I'm considering Intel is their SSDs seem to be the most popular. Is there any particular reason for that?

2) I read that OCZ had some firmware issues would it be safe to get one now?

3) I've used an MBA with a stock SSD and loved the performance. Could I expect the same performance in application in boot and application launch times? Is the SATA I interface of my MBP going to be a serious bottleneck?

4) Most importantly (I probably should have asked this first) would these drives be compatible with my SATA I interface? And are there compatibility issues with SSDs and SATA I in general?

Thank you for your time.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

They are way to expensive. You could get a new laptop for the same price or less than those hard disks that could crush the performance of what you have now.

3. nman040 thread starter macrumors member

Noted, think I'll get it shipped from US or Aus. Works out much cheaper.

Price not being a factor, thoughts anyone?

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

1) I guess they are the most popular due to the overall best performance (but OCZ Vertex/Agility are close and/or similar) - and because it is intel and people know and trust them.
    2) I have an OCZ Vertex in my MB since March last year and never had any issues and my SSD had a really early fw when I got it, but I used it like that for almost 6 month.
    3) I have never really used a MBAir, so I cannot compare, but the intel/OCZ SSD are supposed to be much better than the stock Apple ones.
    4) My MB has also only SATAI and I don't have any issues with that.

Just a note, if you go for the intel SSD, be sure to get the G2.

5. nman040 thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the advice and feedback.

What's the difference with the regular one and the G2? I figured the G2 was a lower end version- clearly not the case..?

6. alskdj macrumors member

7. nman040 thread starter macrumors member

That's the current market price isn't it? Just checked at pricespy.co.nz

Pity it's way to small to be of any use on a laptop where I could only fit a single SSD in. Would make a good drive to use on a desktop though.

8. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

G2 is the second generation -- better!

1) Intel drives walk away from most/all of the benchmark tests as the winner
    2) firmware issues can be asked on the OCZ forums and you will definitely get a straight answer
    3) performance will be at least as good if not better than stock MBA ssd experience
    4) you will be limited in read/write speed but I imagine your access times will still be lightning fast.

I upgraded my 4 year old desktop PC (sata II though) with a 30GB vertex and it screams. Nothing wrong with upgrading an old machine and then using that upgrade on a new machine when you get it.

Without getting too technical, SSDs help in two areas: read/write speed, and random access time. The access time improvement is where you "feel" the difference between rotational media and an SSD, clicking through files/dialogs and launching apps. It is also where many SSD manufacturers skimp. Intel and OCZ have the reputation of getting it right early on in the consumer SSD space.

9. alskdj macrumors member

Yup. The price is pretty fair, considering the US price. If you only plan to use it as a boot drive (like I do) and store a few small files, it's the best bang for your buck.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, I doubt it would be much, if any, improvement. The Meroms are on Calistoga chipsets, which only have 1.5 GB/s SATA controllers.

11. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

There is quite a difference between a good SSD and a standard HDD even under SATAI.
    The access time is ~100x faster and the read/write speed would also be faster then most 5400rpm HDDs.

12. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

imho, any mac is really worth a SSD upgrade, it really gives a second life to the machine and performance is amazingly boosted !!

go for the intel postville :)

13. samlic macrumors newbie

Vertex merom MBP late 2006 Lion DONE!

Put an Vertex 3 (£139) into my merom MBP 2,2 (late 2006), Lion 10.5.3, TRIM on, which has SATA 1 with 1.5Gbps bus speed. (I thought it worth trying, if it doesn't work I could put the vertex 3 into my new iMac). So, it worked, really really well. Application startup faster, Safari performance improved, bootup time <30 sec, shut down time ~1 sec. I felt like my MBP reborned. definitely worth the money.