MBP 2.16, 15", issues after installing new RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacobow, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jacobow macrumors newbie

I just tried to install 4gb of crucial ram to my MBP and had issues from the first startup. First it wouldn't boot at all (no chime, no apple loading screen, just black and a blinking indicator light on the side). Removed and reinstalled the chips and then tried to boot it up... everything looked good for 30 seconds then it jumped to a black/text command prompt and eventually locked up. Rebooted a few times and eventually got into OSX 10.4, but every program I tried to open would insta crash, eventually the curtains came down and had to reboot... then got stuck at the grey Apple startup screen.

Then I put the original 1GB chip back in and after a few false starts, got back into OSX but couldn't remember the original password I setup the computer with, forced me to make a new one, and apparently reset all my preferences and hides the user-specific files. So... 2 questions.

1. What's going on? Bad RAM? Any diagnostics I can run to figure out what's happening? I've had the computer 2 years without a single issue, now this... ugh!

2. How do I get access to the files from my original user account--now hidden?

Thanks for the help!
    --JM

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Well the first time you put the RAM in the wrong way, however the second time it sounds like you didnt put both sticks in correctly, or one stick is damaged.
    Its possible you arnt pushing it hard enough into the slots (it really needs to fit tightly in there) but you may also have bought the wrong RAM, let me know the exact RAM youve bought and your Macbook specs (late 08' MBP or early 08'? 15 or 17"?) and i'll tell you what you need and why what you have isnt working :)

3. jacobow thread starter macrumors newbie

specs

Bought the MBP early '07. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, originally 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz

Bought a Crucial 4GB kit-- 2 2gb 200 pin SODIMM 256MX64 DR2PC2 5300 DUAL DIE

After the first time, i REALLY crammed the sticks in.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

OK i did some research and this should help you

CRUCIAL INFO PAGE

Basically your laptop can only take 3GB of RAM MAX which means putting the 4GB in would stop it working, you can only use the 1GB stick already inside, and one of the other 2GB sticks.

The good news is you bought the right type of RAM :)

5. jacobow thread starter macrumors newbie

another odd thing

Another thing: since the original issues began, many of the icons in finder have disappeared (text is still there but icon is invisible). What's goin on?

6. jacobow thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told the 4gb set would work, but only 3gb would be utilized. I tried and still have issues with the original 1GB + 2GB. Thanks though...

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I dont know who told you the 4GB would work but they were wrong, check the cruical page it tells you all you need to know :) If you need instructions on putting the RAM in check IFIXIT.COM

Its possible your simply unlucky and got broken RAM, but thats rare when it comes to Crucial.

8. jacobow thread starter macrumors newbie

more...

Having trouble verifying the HD... it says this:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Keys out of order
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

What to do?

Pretty unlikely that both Crucial sticks are bunk, eh?

9. jacobow thread starter macrumors newbie

and...

A file called 'mds-crash-state' has appeared in Mac HD. What's this?

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=339237

Just means spotlight crashed. You don't need the file. Also, can you start up from your installer DVD in order to run disk utility on it to see what the problem is?

It may only access (roughly) 3.3GB but you can put in 4GB just fine as far as I know. Apple says the max is 3GB *officially supported* in their manual as does Crucial. OWC says you can put in 4GB. The reason you would put in 2X2GB is to take advantage of the dual channel RAM (assuming you have the Late 2006 2.16GHz Intel C2D and not the earlier Intel CD.)