Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Guy on craigslist is selling his MBP 2.16ghz for $300, he says it needs a new logic board. Is it worth the purchase?

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Guy on craigslist is selling his MBP 2.16ghz for $300, he says it needs a new logic board. Is it worth the purchase?

If a deal is too good to be true it probably is. Also a new logic board could cost you a lot.

I'm convienced craigslist + cheap price+ apple = scam but people keep trying.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Maybe it is worth it, since the logic board includes a CPU. This place has some replacement logic boards.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I could see a MBP going for 300 if the logic board is bad.
As others have warned though, see it in person before you buy.
Also ask for the serial number and call apple to check and make sure they don't have it listed as stolen.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If it was functional I would say scam. Since it has a faulty logic board I would be wary but this may be legitimate.

The owner may just be trying to recoup some money and does not know what a defunct unit is worth. However I would meet in person and check for physical damage and test what you can; does the screen power on, drives spin up, battery indicator show a charge.

If the case is physically damaged don't even bother as other components could also be damaged. Now if the damage is from water, assuming the seller is forthcoming, then there may also be further damage. Assuming the repair is simply a faulty motherboard that is no longer under warranty this could be worth it if you are willing to do the repair yourself and scour ebay for a cheaper replacement then through a normal e-tailer.

Even if the repair is not worth it for you. Assuming the other parts are good you can disassemble the Macbook Pro and sell the components on eBay for a profit.

All in all I would call, set up a meeting in a safer environment like Starbucks and check it out.

jaredrou

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
ask him why the logic board is bad. a bad logic board from a drink spill vs. a spontaneous hardware failure are two different things. if it was a drink, it could have damaged much more than that, and you'd likely need to get other components replaced and/or cleaned too.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I don't think it's a scam, pretty often on the NY CL I see people selling broken Apple laptops for 100-300.

Think about it, 300+750 (to replace logic board)=a reasonable price for a MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.