MBP 2.16 for $300!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobjob186, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Guy on craigslist is selling his MBP 2.16ghz for $300, he says it needs a new logic board. Is it worth the purchase?

2. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

If a deal is too good to be true it probably is. Also a new logic board could cost you a lot.

I'm convienced craigslist + cheap price+ apple = scam but people keep trying.

3. thagomizer macrumors 6502

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The cake is a lie, and so is this deal.

Not even my 800Mhz G3 iBook with Airport installed went for $300, and that was last summer.

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Maybe it is worth it, since the logic board includes a CPU. This place has some replacement logic boards.

6. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

If possible, you should meet this guy in person.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the computer was stolen from a tech/repair center.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I could see a MBP going for 300 if the logic board is bad.
    As others have warned though, see it in person before you buy.
    Also ask for the serial number and call apple to check and make sure they don't have it listed as stolen.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it was functional I would say scam. Since it has a faulty logic board I would be wary but this may be legitimate.

The owner may just be trying to recoup some money and does not know what a defunct unit is worth. However I would meet in person and check for physical damage and test what you can; does the screen power on, drives spin up, battery indicator show a charge.

If the case is physically damaged don't even bother as other components could also be damaged. Now if the damage is from water, assuming the seller is forthcoming, then there may also be further damage. Assuming the repair is simply a faulty motherboard that is no longer under warranty this could be worth it if you are willing to do the repair yourself and scour ebay for a cheaper replacement then through a normal e-tailer.

Even if the repair is not worth it for you. Assuming the other parts are good you can disassemble the Macbook Pro and sell the components on eBay for a profit.

All in all I would call, set up a meeting in a safer environment like Starbucks and check it out.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I doubt its real but hey I might be wrong but I really don't think so.

ChrisN

12. Bobjob186 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to try to meet with him tomorrow, i'll let you know what happens.

13. jaredrou macrumors newbie

ask him why the logic board is bad. a bad logic board from a drink spill vs. a spontaneous hardware failure are two different things. if it was a drink, it could have damaged much more than that, and you'd likely need to get other components replaced and/or cleaned too.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't think it's a scam, pretty often on the NY CL I see people selling broken Apple laptops for 100-300.

Think about it, 300+750 (to replace logic board)=a reasonable price for a MBP