Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
This problem is with an '06 MBP CD (not C2D) 2.16. When it's running on battery only, with the charge indicating 99-100%, it will suddenly just shut off without warning. There's no problem when connected to AC. I've conditioned the battery pretty often and coconutbattery seems to imply all is well, showing 108 loadcycles.

If a replacement battery solves the problem, it might be worth it, but with an older machine I'd hate to spend the money and find out it's something else.

Any ideas?

Plus it's running pretty hot. smcFanControl shows as high as 72c -about 176f! Although it does get down to 38-40c at times.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
My early '08 MBP 2.5ghz did the same thing. It was frustrating because it would randomly shut off when it was running on the battery. I brought it to Apple, they ran some tests and determined that both the battery and logicboard was bad. I was whacked with a $325 fee for replacement parts as I was out of warranty. It could have been easily more money because the logicboard alone is like $800-900 at the time.

Bring it to Apple and see what they say.

RPJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
It was the battery!

The MBP would suddenly shut down without warning while on battery. When using the ac power brick (an the battery installed) it got as hot as 88c (190f!).

I didn't use the machine for a few days. I decided to clean it. When I set it on a table it sat like something was under it. Turned it over to discover that the battery was distorted inside and out.

Searched around here and at apple.com forums to find a good number of people have had this problem.

When the machine was connected to house power with the battery removed (didn't seem like a good idea to put it back in), the MBP didn't get over 48c.

I went to an Apple store today and set the battery on the back counter. They replaced it without question or paper work. This on a 4 year old unit, 1 year out of Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.