MBP 2.16 Video issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gbouchzoo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gbouchzoo macrumors newbie

2006 17" 2.16 MBP A1151 2G ram ATI RadeonX1600 graphics card

This machine has been a workhorse from day 1. The major weakness for me is the ATI VPU crashes when in Windows hard boot and working with more sizeable cadd files. This problem has progressed exponentially lately and I am concerned the card is going to fail completely. I am beginning to sense minor anomalies when in MacOS now as well.

I have read in other forums that the video 'inverter' can be the issue. Can this part be tested effectively.
    I have also read that the CPU is separate from the CPU. True or False?

Now for the real question which has been asked in other threads but I have found no true answer or proof of success. If I must replace the logic board (in order to replace the video card), how can I determine which if any successive model logic boards are compatible with my machine? Which video cards are more robust and stable than the ATI Radeonx1600?

I am in no position to buy a new machine so please don't make the suggestion. I am also reasonably capable and competent to make the parts change. I just want to identify my parts option(s).

Thanks

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You would probably get better help if you posted in the MacBook Pro forum. This is the Mac Pro (desktop) forum.

First thing I would try is using fan control to manually force the fans to a higher speed. This may help if the GPU is overheating.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The video card is integrated onto the motherboard. Any motherboard from that generation should be identical (make sure you don't confuse the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo), so you could get a 2.16 or 2.3 (I believe it was) with the ATI card and be OK.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the video card unless you upgrade the motherboard, which requires an upgraded case, which requires a new display... and then you've upgraded the whole computer. Except maybe the HDD. ;)

4. gbouchzoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Proper forum

Posted in this forum by mistake.
    I've learned since- the 2.33 will fit in my machine but it appears (from reading other forum posts) that the 2.33 has issues with Leopard and certain system updates. This makes sticking with the 2.16 board the more stable option.
    My issues always seem to occur when the GPU is working hard and getting hot (another consistent theme). Some time back I did install FanControll and also started running an Antec cool pad under the machine; both of which definitely reduced occurences. I recently performed a clean install but did not reinstall the FanControl yet so that would surely help if history means anything.
    A big piece of info is that there is a history of the original Apple thermal paste drying and cracking, thus the re-application of a high quality thermal paste also helps to reduce/dissipate the heat load.

Another option is what some call 're-balling'; removing the original solder and re-soldering the GPU ( the original solder is susceptible to heat/cold stress and ends up cracking.

I'll repost but thought I'd share here also.