MBP 2.16 vs 2.2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rdrnatn24, May 28, 2008.

1. Rdrnatn24 macrumors newbie

I was looking to buy a used or refurbished MacBook Pro. I was pretty set on the 2.2 ghz model, but I have a deal waiting for a 2.16 ghz model (the model right before). My question is will I notice a big difference in performance? They will have the same hard drive and amount of ram, but the graphics card and fsb are different. How much of a difference will these make if I mostly just use it for the basics, some video encoding, and programming? Also is 1200 a good price for the 2.16 model if there is apple care until 2/10? Thanks for the help.

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

The speed of the processor will not be a hugely different and the frontside bus will not really speed things up that much.

The main difference betweek these two is the amount of RAM they can address. The older 2.16 one will only see 3.3GB max whereas the 2.2 will address 4GB.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Of course it's always good to get the most up to date technology.

Is that 1200 in dollars? If so, that sounds like a bargain and well worth taking a hit in speed and RAM.

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

You can google the Macworld reviews but the general consensus is that the 2.16 to 2.2 is an extremely minor update. While the ability to address more RAM is nice, 2GB RAM is generous on Mac OS X unlike Win Vista - I have rarely maxed out my 2GB RAM. 3-4GB RAM is overkill for most people unless they're working in apps like Photoshop all the time.

That price with AppleCare sounds like a great deal.

4. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

It is a good deal if...

...it is a 17 inch model. You just cannot find 17 inch MBP at that price. Not a bad deal for a 15 inch MBP as well.

5. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Sad thing about this technology, what was the best today will be mediocre tomorrow :(

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'd definitely get the 2.2:

- LED screen
    - Much better graphics card
    - Can take 4 GB RAM
    - Slightly faster in CPU and FSB

7. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Ooh, I forgot about that. That would be a definate advantage.

However, I don't know if the prices are that different from here in the UK but £600 (1200$) sounds like a great price for even a 1.5 year old MBP.

8. Rdrnatn24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it is in us dollars. I'm not worried about the ram since I'm going to be ok with 2 gb. Also not too worried about the graphics card. I didn't think about the led screen, though. How much of a difference will that make? Also it is 15".

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo. The ability to upgrade to 4GB alone is worth it.

I run the 2.2 macbook pro and my battery life after 92 cycles since I purchased it back in September runs four hours. The screen is bright and doesn't need any warmup time.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its Core 2 vs Core 2 dude...

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought he was talking about the "Yonah" model. Oopps

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

More 4GB nonsense. As someone who uses 2GB daily, I feel 4GB is excessive.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Different people use different set of apps.

But I do agree that some people on this forum are insane to recommend 4 GB for everyone, even for those who only browse web and sync iPod :eek:

14. Rdrnatn24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than the iLife apps, all I really use is handbrake and Xcode so I'm not really worried about the memory limit. Im pretty sure I'm going to go with the 2.16 and let that hold me over for a while.

15. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I have a MBA and MBP 2.16. While the LED is noticeably brighter at max it is too bright for photo correction and using my colorimeter I dial it down. Warm up time is better but can you wait 5-10min before doing color critical work?