MBP 2.16GHz X1600 vs. 2.2GHz 8600M

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stuff14, Mar 14, 2008.

1. stuff14 macrumors newbie

The refurbished store is offering the first model in my title for an astounding $1299USD, which is a deal I almost can't resist. But the latter model is only $150 more, and the only differences are the processer, the GPU, RAM, and Supredrive speed. This may seem like a lot, but the processer difference is minimal, the GPU I don't know much about, I'm going to upgrade the RAM anyway, most likely, which leaves the the Superdrive speed. Any input on which model I should buy? I don't really NEED a laptop now, and I could possibly wait till June for Montevina, but is it worth it? Input much appreciated.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I don't know much about the GPU, but i do know that the latter model has a 4 GB ram limit whereas the "older" MBP has a limit of 3 GB, something to consider interms of longevity. Superdrive speed shouldnt be much of a big deal because generally one burns at a slower speed anyways for more reliable burns.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

the 8600M is in the 3rd gen MBP (aka SR MBP) which will allow for more max RAM, and has a LED backlit screen, which will last longer. For the extra $150, I'd spring for the SR MBP.

Having said that, I have the MBP with the x1600 in it, and I couldn't be happier

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

The latter model will be marginally faster due to the fsb, not just the clock speed of the processor, however still a small input. The superdrive speed will make a noticeable difference to burning DVDs if you burn at full speed. The biggest difference will be the GPU however, if you play games, do video editing or use an external monitor - I'm pretty sure it has the advantage of higher clock speed and more video memory, according to manufacturers specs...

What are you planning to do with your laptop?

EDIT: And the maximum amount of ram which i forgot about!

5. stuff14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am, to be honest, using this not as a professional machine, but as a machine for my hobby and possibly future career in graphic design. I don't keep most computers for more than one to two years, so I'm not too worried about the RAM issue, as 3GB would probably be my limit temporarily anyway.

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I would do it for the screen which is much brighter

7. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I agree with everyone else,

The regular backlit screens cannot compare with the LED.

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

why are LED's so much better than regular backlights?

9. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

If you're concerned about the graphics card at all, the 8600 will blow the X1600 out of the water.

More power efficient, "greener", more even backlighting (I think...).