MBP 2.2 15" 2011 Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feodor, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Feodor macrumors newbie

My MBP 2.2 15" arrived just yesterday, so I haven't had time to completely test everything, etc. Used a desktop almost exclusively for the past three years, so I've forgotten what is normal for laptops. So far two things have been bothering me:

1) The SuperDrive is making a short "processing" noise on bootup. I'm not really annoyed by it, but is it normal? The drive itself works.

2) Fan noise is ridiculous. It's pretty quiet when browsing the web, etc. but when I launch a game, fan noise goes through the roof. Fan noise is bad on Windows too but that's a software issue most likely. It doesn't heat up much, it just gets outrageously loud.

Any input on whether this is normal would be appreciated.

2. MKang25 macrumors regular

Yes on boot the Optical making some kind of whirring, clicking on boot up is normal. The fans are also normal.

3. bobthedino macrumors member

Yes, this is normal, as far as I know.

Probably also normal. Do you have iStat Menus or similar that can show you the fan RPM? On my 2.2GHz MBP, pushing the computer will make both the fans run up to around 6000RPM, which is pretty noisy I agree, but that's the price you pay for having a fast quad-core CPU in a tiny laptop chassis! I've not tried running Windows on it, though.

4. Feodor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll look into the fan RPM speeds. How loud does it get for you?

5. Photios macrumors member

Photios

I have the same computer as you, except the 2.3 upgraded CPU.

I suffer from fan noise with my macbook pro. What I have done to fix that is to run gfxCardStatus, forcing my computer to always use the Intel HD 3000 graphics rather than the dedicated Radeon HD 6750M. This produces a lot less heat, and I no longer hear my fans, under normal usage. If i was to play a game, or needed the extra power, then I would switch to the other graphics system.

If you don't have gfxCardStatus, here's the link to download it: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

The program is a life-saver!!!

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

^^^ This. I have the base model 15" MBP, and this app is GREAT! Very simple and easy to use.

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I love that Super Drive noise at startup! Unfortunately, my Optibay will be arriving soon :(

The sound is completely normal though :)

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

This. I use it on my 17" because chrome seems to like to activate the radeon, which I do not approve of.

And the other two things you mentioned are completely normal.