Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rony321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
Hi!
Im planning to buy a new Macbook Pro Retina 16g ram, core i7, 256g as a gift for my boyfriend.
He is doing a lot of film editing and photoshop.
I found a Certified
Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display on apples website for A$ 2,239.
Is this gonna do it? Or do I need to get a 2.5 ghz for like A$2.800? I do not really know anything about this stuff so just want to make sure I get something that will last.

I would really appreciate any advice.. Thanks! :)

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
How much RAM comes with the refurbished? If it comes with 8GB of ram, then I would go with the brand new Macbook. For video editing, more RAM the better IMO.

If the refurbish comes with 16GB, then go with the refurbished from Apple.

rony321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
How much RAM comes with the refurbished? If it comes with 8GB of ram, then I would go with the brand new Macbook. For video editing, more RAM the better IMO.

If the refurbish comes with 16GB, then go with the refurbished from Apple.

Thanks for your replays!

The refurbished comes with 16g of RAM :)
Do you reckon that will keep it from pausing during film editing? I dont really know how much his last one had but it was not a retina display and released in early 2012 I think and broke last year and were extremely slow during editing. So that is why Im trying to get one now that will to a better job!

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
You are in a bit of a pickle. The 2.5 will have a dGPU which will help with video rendering, but given Apple's track record with dGPUs in recent years, it could be a ticking time bomb, or it could last for years. The 2.2 you linked to does not have a dGPU, which will place further limits on how fast his machine will process along with the processor.

I think you should tell him that you are getting it for him and will not take no for an answer and ask which model he would prefer. He's a lucky guy to get a gift like that. Personally, I would go with the 2.2, but I don't work on major video projects either.

rony321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
You are in a bit of a pickle. The 2.5 will have a dGPU which will help with video rendering, but given Apple's track record with dGPUs in recent years, it could be a ticking time bomb, or it could last for years. The 2.2 you linked to does not have a dGPU, which will place further limits on how fast his machine will process along with the processor.

I think you should tell him that you are getting it for him and will not take no for an answer and ask which model he would prefer. He's a lucky guy to get a gift like that. Personally, I would go with the 2.2, but I don't work on major video projects either.

Yeah i doubt he will let me buy it if i tell him haha.. might just go for the 2.2 and if he want to upgrade it might work just to change that part?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yeah i doubt he will let me buy it if i tell him haha.. might just go for the 2.2 and if he want to upgrade it might work just to change that part?

You can't change any parts on the retina macbook pro's that is not an option, what you get is what you keep.

I think you need to let us know if he is going to be editing 4K video or other intensive uses. this will determine wether the dedicated graphics card is worth it. Is this to use professionally or for home use if this is just for messing around with home videos etc then I wouldn't worry and get the cheaper one. If this is to be used for his profession the more expensive one may be worth the investment.

The main issue with that machine is that 256GB is fairly small for onboard storage, especially if he likes to carry around lots of video media, has lots of games or big apps on his computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.