MBP 2.2 HDD upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drawstring, Jul 12, 2009.

1. drawstring macrumors member

hello all. thanks in advance for all your tips and suggestions.

i got my MBP in the summer of 07, 2.2Ghz, up'd my RAM to 4GB but am still using the stock 120GB hd. i want to try and make this computer live for another 2 years, or so... ideally, I can make some changes to the hardware that will make it feel good for 18 more mos. currently, booting on this machine take 1min25sec (approx)

I run leopard, office 08, adobe CS3, and some other random software; but the video work I do is minimal enough that it all feels ok. I spend a lot of time in photoshop and illustrator. otherwise, my time is absorbed by email and reading on the web. i stream a lot of video on stuff like hulu etc.

SO - i am looking to get a 500GB hdd. I need the space since I'm increasingly using storage for video.

these are my top options right now (a toshiba, seagate, samsung, WD):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36314,N82E16822149087,N82E16822152168&bop=And

there is also a seagate drive that is 5400 at $90. the $40 is not a HUGE problem to get the 7200 drive, but if given my usage I won't notice the difference then I'd rather go buy myself something else with that money.

if i didn't think i'd find some valuable advice here, i'm inclined to probably just save the money since the performance bump will be minor...?

Thanks again to all! :)

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You'll actually notice a difference in speed. But the bigger HD will drain battery life, but if you use those programs, I doubt you take it off your desk ever. :p
    Go with the 7200.

3. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

ha good point about the desk, but truly even though i use it at "a" desk most of the time, i travel about once a week, so batt life is a mild concern - except that i'm sort of perma-disappointed in batt life (can really only rely on 2.25 hrs these days even though batt was replaced sep 08)

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would recommend the WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB 5400

Take a look at the reviews and you will see it performs as well or better than the 7200's
    Scorpio Blue and Black Review

Many here have installed them and love them

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009