MBP 2,2 issues - help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlisterS, Dec 17, 2013.

1. AlisterS, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

AlisterS macrumors newbie

Trying to sort out my partner's MBP 2,2, late 2006 I believe.

The HD was starting to make occasional noises, so we made a Carbon Copy Clone to an external drive, replaced the internal one, and tried to CCC back to the new drive. The screen froze towards the end of the copy, except for the cursor, which acquired some black lines next to it.

After this, whatever disk we have tried to start it from - internal, external, optical, we get: first, grey apple, then blue screen, then garbled frozen screen, with immovable cursor. Sometimes the Users login rectangle is partly visible, with 'restart' and 'sleep'.

However, it will start in Safe Mode, the only anomaly being the same black lines attached to the cursor. It will start in Single User mode. We have started it in Target mode, and reinstalled OS10.6.2 from another (newer) MBP. After install, the newer machine started perfectly from the old one's targeted drive.

I have reset the PRAM and the PMS, have even tried resetting the firmware by removing one RAM stick and resetting the PRAM 3 times as suggested elsewhere on this forum.

Any suggestions?

Have attached images of screen on its most recent start-up (it's not always the same) and the cursor with its lines.

2. AlisterS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, newbie mistake, didn't realise there was an "upload" button for the attachments, d'oh

Attached Files: