MBP 2.2 or Blackbook 2.2?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikepro44, Jun 7, 2008.

1. mikepro44 macrumors member

Just trying to decide whether to choose between the MBP 2.2 or get a blackbook 2.2 and upgrade the ram and hd. I start school for digital media design soon, so i will be running CS3 lots and doing video and picture editing.
    Would you say it would be worth it for the extra $500 to bump up to the pro? or would the blackbook be fine with the upgraded ram etc. etc.
    just trying to figure out the pros and cons for each

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Personally, I wouldn't go with the Blackbook. It is just overpriced and you're paying alot of extra money just for the colour (especially when fingerprints show up really easily on them).

If money allows, I personally would opt for the pro. You're not going to be doing too much gpu heavy stuff by the sounds of it, but for digital media design, I would think the screen size would be quite an issue. I do web developement and graphics design at university, and alot of the time, I find even the 15" on the MBP restricting (to the point, I use an ACD when I'm at my desk), but that's just me...I really think the screens are a bit small on the Macbooks for that kind of work though.

If you have a local Apple Store, I would suggest go along to the store, try each one out. Most of the time, they tend to have alot of the software installed (such as iLife, iWork, Final Cut Studio, etc), and see if you could cope with the 13" screen.

I know other people will say the MBP is overkill, and you'd be fine with a Macbook, which may be true, but for me it just comes down to screen size.

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I'd say go for the MBP for the reasons gazfocus stated.

4. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

for display in the product descriptions..

15.4-inch widescreen display or 15.4-inch glossy widescreen display.. is the first one a matte screen?

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup

6. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

I think the MBP would be the right machine for me then, is their any problems with the 2.2 machines or is it pretty much all gravy.. ?

7. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

From what I understand (not a MBP owner myself...) any 'issues' that may arise are more structural: aluminum chassis getting hot, denting easy, etc.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Obviously, the MBP is only going to dent easily if you don't take care of it, however you can get very cheap crystal cases to protect them :)

The 2.2GHz is either going to be 2nd hand or refurb. If you can stretch to a new one, you'll get a higher spec (better graphics, bigger hard drive, etc), and also a free ipod.

As for processor, FSB, etc, they won't make any difference to you at all, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Just enjoy your MBP and good luck with your course :)

9. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As a current owner of the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn, so many non-owners give the BlackBook a bad rap. You can get a nice edu discount on a BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB with iPod, or you can get a refurb MBP 2.5 Penryn 250GB with iPod, for about $900-$1000 more. It's up to you; I've used FCP, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Office 2008: Mac, PS CS3, iWorks '08, just to name a few, and I've never had a problem running these programs on my BlackBook. As I said earlier, the BlackBook "fingerprint issue" is a non-issue for me, since I use iKlear on a reagular basis. :cool:

Attached Files:

11. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I can understand what you're saying, but as I said, my previous post did state the main reason I'd go with the MBP is the screen size...however, you can still see where the black keyboard is worn on your blackbook through use :p

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Oh, OK, I misunderstood your post, b/c I thought you said "fingerprints really show up easily!" v. "Black keyboard is worn on your BlackBook through use!" Now this second photo is sent with that same area cleaned and polished with iKlear. :cool:

Attached Files:

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't mind the bigger footprint, the MBP is worth the extra cost.

14. VideoShooter macrumors regular

MBP for sure.

Since your in digital design school... I'd say bigger screen and dedicated video card.

I had a black macbook and I was a fan. But the small screen size just doesn't compete with a 15 inch MBP.

I'd get the 15 inch MBP 2.2 from apple.com refurb for $1449.

Spend $90 for 4GB of RAM. You'll be VERY happy for 3-4 years of computing.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

MBP for sure...and I own a 2.4 Penryn BlackBook. For what you want to do, I can suggest nothing less. I'm a tower/laptop guy, so I don't need the power of the MBP for portable purposes. If it's going to be your main computer, by all means get the MBP. The BlackBook is sexy as hell, but you need to be practical at this point.

16. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

I ordered my MBP! now how long can I expect for shipping to canada haha

ps.

since its refurb i heard a rumor that sometimes the machine has higher specs than posted by apple?

17. David G. macrumors 6502a

It's true

18. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Possibly, but I do hope you didn't order it counting on that, you might well be disappointed if that's the case! ;)

20. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

I did actually :( daaaamn haha jk, im expecting to get what I paid for.. a bonus would be nice though ;)