MBP 2.2 vs MB 1.83 startup times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doboy, Nov 4, 2007.

1. doboy macrumors 68000

Last week I purchased a new 2.2 SR MBP and I compared the startup time against my old 1.83 MB (Core Duo) with 2 x 1 GB Crucial RAM and it took ~17 sec for MB to boot to the login screen while the SR MBP w/ 2GB took ~24 sec. I can't believe the new MBP is slower to boot than ~2 yr old MB unless the brand of RAM is making the difference. Both computers have Fujitsu 5400 HDD. Any suggestions? What do ppl get for startup times until it reaches the login screen?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think it depends...my MacBook has different start up times everyday. Start up tests aren't always accurate.

3. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's because I have FileVault on, but it takes on average about 30-45 seconds from start-up to the login screen on my 2.2 GHz MBP? :confused:

4. doboy thread starter macrumors 68000

Now I'm thinking it may have to do with different computer components, main one being the graphics card. MBP seems to take longer before the wheel shows up and starts to rotate. Before the wheel, it may be checking the hardware. I tried zapping the PRAM, but no difference. Still much quicker than any win machines that I've had or tried. :eek: But still interested in other ppl's experiences.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah startup times may not be reliable indicators of performance. My MBP is ready to use under 26 seconds (I don't have the login screen come up), where as my buddys' MB takes ~40 seconds.

I think there are way too many variables involved to set up a benchmark for startup times.